Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with Micro SD card wiped.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 03:51 PM

Hi Guys, 

perhaps this is in the wrong forum section but wasn't entirely sure where to post. 

Quick background - 

About a week ago, two of my mates found that their Micro Sd cards in their phones had been wiped of their precious photos. 

Both using the same phone - and it happened on the same day. A quick check lead me to understand it was linked to a manufactureres update and being the nice fried i am, i had a go at recovering the photos from one disc which was a complete success using a freely available piece of recovery software. 

Thinking it was only a matter of repeating the process, i took on the second card.

When i insert it into my laptop, it first of all takes some time to recognise there's even been a card inserted, but once it appears in the file explorer, i right-click on it and instantly file explorer is " not responding " 

I've tried several recovery tools, but even with the disc inserted, none of them seem to even recognise that it is a drive that might be recoverable. My gut instinct is that the card is showing as RAW format, but even software that claims to be able to deep scan such discs fails to recognise it. 

Im wondering, is there any possible recommendation you might have for such a problem ??

I'd love to think it might be worth another try on Windows 7 rather than the problem laden Windows 10, but im not hopeful. 

Any help you might be able to offer would be very much appreciated.

R. 

If there really was a god, then why is my ass the perfect height for kicking ???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 03:57 PM

How to Recover Files/Data from Raw Hard Drive/Partition?

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#3 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 03:59 PM

Thanks Free Booter, but im afraid this is one i've already tried. 

If there really was a god, then why is my ass the perfect height for kicking ???

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 04:36 PM

"...Both using the same phone - and it happened on the same day. A quick check lead me to understand it was linked to a manufactureres update and being the nice fried i am, i had a go at recovering the photos from one disc which was a complete success using a freely available piece of recovery software..."  -- carnivalofsorts

What was the name of the recovery software?  I'd like to learn what it was, is, and briefly what steps you took for that successful recovery!

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 04:47 PM

Does the Windows assign drive letter to SD card if it does repair SD card file system by opening Command Prompt as administrator and type Chkdsk X: /r command replace the X: drive letter with SD card drive letter. 

TestDisk is powerful free data recovery software! It was primarily designed to help recover lost partitions and/or make non-booting disks bootable again when these symptoms are caused by faulty software: certain types of viruses or human error (such as accidentally deleting a Partition Table). Partition table recovery using TestDisk is really easy.

"The type of the file system is RAW - Recovery of a damaged FAT boot sector"
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Data_Recovery_Examples#The_type_of_the_file_system_is_RAW_-_Recovery_of_a_damaged_FAT_boot_sector

PhotoRec is file data recovery software designed to recover lost files including video, documents and archives from hard disks, CD-ROMs, and lost pictures (thus the Photo Recovery name) from digital camera memory. PhotoRec ignores the file system and goes after the underlying data, so it will still work even if your media's file system has been severely damaged or reformatted.

MiniTool® Power Data Recovery - Technical Support
https://www.powerdatarecovery.com/support.html

Fix RAW File System SD Card without Data Loss
http://www.4cardrecovery.com/howto/fix-raw-file-system-sd-card-without-data-loss.html

- Dalai Lama

#6 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:12 PM

"...Both using the same phone - and it happened on the same day. A quick check lead me to understand it was linked to a manufactureres update and being the nice fried i am, i had a go at recovering the photos from one disc which was a complete success using a freely available piece of recovery software..."  -- carnivalofsorts

What was the name of the recovery software?  I'd like to learn what it was, is, and briefly what steps you took for that successful recovery!

I used Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery and the process for recovery was simply to follow the on screen instructions and it identified the missing photos on the card and recovered them - very straight forward. 

I'm starting to think the problem with the cards is not identical as i had originally thought. 

#7 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:33 PM

Does the Windows assign drive letter to SD card if it does repair SD card file system by opening Command Prompt as administrator and type Chkdsk X: /r command replace the X: drive letter with SD card drive letter. 

TestDisk is powerful free data recovery software! It was primarily designed to help recover lost partitions and/or make non-booting disks bootable again when these symptoms are caused by faulty software: certain types of viruses or human error (such as accidentally deleting a Partition Table). Partition table recovery using TestDisk is really easy.

"The type of the file system is RAW - Recovery of a damaged FAT boot sector"
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Data_Recovery_Examples#The_type_of_the_file_system_is_RAW_-_Recovery_of_a_damaged_FAT_boot_sector

PhotoRec is file data recovery software designed to recover lost files including video, documents and archives from hard disks, CD-ROMs, and lost pictures (thus the Photo Recovery name) from digital camera memory. PhotoRec ignores the file system and goes after the underlying data, so it will still work even if your media's file system has been severely damaged or reformatted.

MiniTool® Power Data Recovery - Technical Support
https://www.powerdatarecovery.com/support.html

Fix RAW File System SD Card without Data Loss
http://www.4cardrecovery.com/howto/fix-raw-file-system-sd-card-without-data-loss.html

Freebooter,  thanks again for the reply ....

It takes a couple of minutes, but windows does indeed assign a drive letter, however in File Explorer, if i right click on the card to get the options menu, it instantly drops into " Not Responding " and when i use any of the recover software - it never sees the card as a valid drive for recovery - almost as if it has a letter assigned, but nothing else ??

When using the Chkdsk function it tells me that it is not available for RAW drives

Its rather frustrating !

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 12:00 AM

You have to backup any files store on the SD card and re-format the SD card.

- Dalai Lama

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users