Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet USB adapter problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:25 PM

I am trying to add an Ethernet cable option to my Tablet Windows10 PC in addition to generally satisfactory Wi-Fi. I have the Ethernet cable which came with my BT HomeHub 5 router, and have just aquired an Ethernet USB adapter which is VK-QF97000. It is quickly recognised and listed by the PC but will not connect to the internet. I get error 150 'Domain name not resolved' and 'unable to resolve domain name'. IPv4 and v6 report 'no internet access'. The moment I plug in the USB adapter the Wi-Fi disconnects (and vice versa) --- to be expected? There is a DVD supplied with drivers but they only go up to W8. No driver gets detected / installed. A W8 driver might work if I could install i, however t I think there is a W10 driver on the internet but so far have not found how to install it.

Any advice please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:23 PM

People have confirmed that Windows 8 drivers usually do work on a Windows 10 computer. I could not find any reference for the model number you posted. Is there any reference in Device Manager. Right click, select Properties and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and Post the first line in your next post.

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:29 PM

Can another computer connected to that same ethernet via a ethernet NIC get online? Can the tablet get online wireless? 

Also, do you mean VK-QF9700? Do you know who is the manufacture so the OS requirements can be checked? Googled around and perhaps 2-Tech? 

Off the top of my head, try setting your DNS to static?

Edited by Trikein, 21 June 2016 - 01:32 PM.

#4 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:39 PM

Thanks for replies.

My two machines, one W10 the other Android Lollipop, both connect OK to the internet with Wi-Fi. But not with the ethernet cable. Windows reports no internet access while the Android shows Ethernet listed but greyed out and unresponsive.

The manufacturer of the adapter is shown as Corechip Semiconductor, Inc. The driver required, is listed many times with an internet search, as VK-QF97000.   

IPv4 address: 192.168.1.158
IPv4 DNS Servers: 192.168.1.254
Manufacturer: Corechip Semiconductor, Inc.
Description: USB to Ethernet Adapter
Driver version: 1.0.906.0
Physical address: ‎00-06-15-0B-02-14

The adapter cannot find a correct driver on the DVD supplied. It seems likely to me this is the root of the problem --yes? The retailer has responded, offering to help.

#5 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:30 PM

I would agree it seems to be a driver issue. I am still not clear what adapter you have. The only thing that comes up when I google VK-QF97000 is this thread and some random trash sites. When I search for VK-QF9700, I do get many results, but most for the 2-Tech device. My guess is Corechip Semiconductor is a maker of the chipset that several device manufactures use.

13415-13415-1-2-.jpeg

PS. Looked up the MAC address, and it's listed to Kimoto Electric. So who knows. LOL

Edited by Trikein, 22 June 2016 - 01:32 PM.

#6 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 11:06 AM

The vendor sent me a replacement, the same make. I now have Ethernet listed along side  Wi-Fi. But for hours begining yesterday I was unable to connect to the internet with either. In the end I was reconnected, by Wi-Fi, simply by removing the Ethernet cable.It appears that the Ethernet link is incompatible with the Wi-Fi link, though I have been told by my ISP that the two are not incompatible using their BT Hub5. .So now I need to find out how to overcome this. I have not so far got the Ethernet connection to work by disabling the Wi-Fi.

I dont know if this helps. What I get when trying to use the Ethernet is "Windows could not automatically detect networks proxy." Using different browsers I get variations of "We could not reach that page" or "DNS not found". In a Windows box it says "IPV6 --- no internet." 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users