Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Change Network Drive Password?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ernster

Ernster

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:42 AM

Hi there,

We have a network/server with some shared drives. Initially when users click on a drive, they will be asked to enter the username/password for that drive. We want to change this password but can't work out how to change it? We all use windows 8.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:23 AM

How do you share resources in your network?
  To change a homegroup password
  1. Open HomeGroup by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, clicking Control Panel, typing homegroup in the search box, and then clicking HomeGroup.

2. Click Change the password, and then click Change the password.

3. Type the new password you want to use (or accept the suggested one), click Next, and then click Finish.

After you change the password, everyone connected to your homegroup will be asked to enter the new password.

af19c785-9307-4d07-b75f-369289774be4_51.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#3 Ernster

Ernster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:51 AM

Thanks mate. I dont know how we share resources on the network, not sure what you mean? All I know is we have mapped drives and users can login to a few different shared drives by entering a password (if its saved they wont have to keep entering it).

I have never heard about home groups before, so I'll give it a try when I go into work, thanks.

How do you share resources in your network?
  To change a homegroup password
  1. Open HomeGroup by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, clicking Control Panel, typing homegroup in the search box, and then clicking HomeGroup.

2. Click Change the password, and then click Change the password.

3. Type the new password you want to use (or accept the suggested one), click Next, and then click Finish.

After you change the password, everyone connected to your homegroup will be asked to enter the new password.

af19c785-9307-4d07-b75f-369289774be4_51.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:20 AM

With password protected sharing enabled other computers an network will not be able to access your share resources without a user name and password that corresponds to a user account on the computer with share resources. When a user on the network tries to connect to share resource by default Windows OS connects you to the share resource using your user name and your user account password. If there is a account with same username and password  on the computer that is sharing resources the connection will be successful provided that the account specified as one of the accounts that can access the shared resource. However if there is no account with same username and password on the computer that is sharing resources the connection to shared resource will fail and will be prompted with a dialog box to type in a username and password . At this point the user on the computer attempting to connect to shared resource can type username and password of an account on the computer shared resources that is specified as one of the account that can access shared resources. When password protected sharing disabled the computer shared resources does not require a username or password anyone on the network can access the shared resources of the computer (provided the shared resources was shared for the Guest or Everyone account). Which ever user account is use to access the shared resources or shared resource you will need to change this user account password on the computer sharing the resources.

Edited by FreeBooter, 22 June 2016 - 09:23 AM.

- Dalai Lama

#5 Ernster

Ernster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:40 AM

Thanks so much for your help.

I believe password protected sharing is enabled.

So are you basically saying I have to find the original computer where the network/sharing was originally setup and then go to homegroups and change the password?'

As it is now, every drive has the same password. We have one drive just for administrators which we want to change the password for, the rest can have a different password for the remaining drives.

So how would that work? How do we change the password for just 1 shared drive (administrators drive), even though we have several that are being shared.

Do we need 2 separate home groups? Or can it be done under 1. Sorry hope I'm making sense, as I've never used homegroups before and I'm not at work at the moment.

With password protected sharing enabled other computers an network will not be able to access your share resources without a user name and password that corresponds to a user account on the computer with share resources. When a user on the network tries to connect to share resource by default Windows OS connects you to the share resource using your user name and your user account password. If there is a account with same username and password  on the computer that is sharing resources the connection will be successful provided that the account specified as one of the accounts that can access the shared resource. However if there is no account with same username and password on the computer that is sharing resources the connection to shared resource will fail and will be prompted with a dialog box to type in a username and password . At this point the user on the computer attempting to connect to shared resource can type username and password of an account on the computer shared resources that is specified as one of the account that can access shared resources. When password protected sharing disabled the computer shared resources does not require a username or password anyone on the network can access the shared resources of the computer (provided the shared resources was shared for the Guest or Everyone account). Which ever user account is use to access the shared resources or shared resource you will need to change this user account password on the computer sharing the resources.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:52 AM

I think HomeGroup is not use to  share resources are the shared resources mapped as a drive letter or folder how do you connect to shared resources do you open My Computer folder and double click shared resource drive letter?

Can you take a screenshot of My Computer and HomeGroup app.

When connecting to shared resource which username you use?

- Dalai Lama

#7 Ernster

Ernster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:07 AM

I wont be able to take a screenshot until Friday Ill try and explain for now.

We click on "my computer" then can click on networks. Then several networks appear (blue computer icons). Lets say the network is called "Dogs", we then double click that icon and then several shared drives appear or they may look like folder icons I think. To get into those shared drives/folders, users need the username and password.

If a folder/drive is called "Director" then Director is the username they need to enter, along with the password. There are other ones listed too, which require a different username.

On some computers Ive noticed when clicking my computer instead of going to networks,.... on the left side panel they can enter a drive by clicking on a list of drives shown, and they do have a drive letter. I dont think its like that on every computer though, they may need to enter by first clicking "networks".

Without having it in front of me, its a little hard to be sure exactly what it looks like.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:23 AM

Which ever username is use to connect to shared resources you will need to change that user account password from computer sharing resources. So if shared folder Director can be access by typing username Director and password  for Director then from the computer who is sharing the Director folder you need to change the Director user account password. You can view all user accounts on the Windows computer by opening Command Prompt as a administrator  and type Net Users press Enter key to view list of all user accounts on that computer. You can change any user account password let say you want to change password for user account named Director type Net User Director *  when you press Enter key you will be prompted type a password for the Director user account but you should know when typing the password you wont see it on Command Prompt even do there is no indication you are typing password for the Director user account you are so when finnish typing password just press Enter key to retype the password.

Edited by FreeBooter, 22 June 2016 - 10:25 AM.

- Dalai Lama

#9 Ernster

Ernster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:38 AM

Ok thanks mate I'll give it a shot. Is there an easy way to know which computer is the one that was used to share the drive/folder? It was all done before I started working there and my boss isn't 100% sure. Not sure what to look for.

On a separate note

Also is there any way in windows where we can password protect a regular folder thats inside a shared drive? Just say the Director drive has a password, if there is a folder i have created called Puppies, is there a way to password protect that folder using a different password? I tried encrypting it, or adding a password but the right click options are not there when its a shared folder on a network.

Ive spent hours with no success.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:16 AM

I think you are looking to change the Mapped Drive Password.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8120623_change-password-mapped-drive.html

630x468xclip_image0079.png.pagespeed.gp+

441x319xclip_image00812.png.pagespeed.gp

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:17 AM

Well when you try to access a shared resource you are prompted to enter user name and password for a user account who has access to  shared resource you want to access the dialog box where you enter username and password will display the computer name the  Enter your credential to connect to:  will tell you which computer you are connecting to. The Network folder will list all computers on same network  you can double click computer name to view its shared resources.

You can share folder with any person as long as that person has user account on the computer that is sharing the folder and who ever have access to shared folder only that user account credentials can be use to login to shared folder. If the Director drive password protected then only that password can be use to access shared resources on the Director drive.

Edited by FreeBooter, 22 June 2016 - 11:18 AM.

- Dalai Lama

#12 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:23 AM

JohnC_21 that instructions at website shows how to connect to shared resource with different credentials this does not change the password for user account that is use to connect to shared resource.

- Dalai Lama

#13 ScottoD

ScottoD

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:16 AM

Just access Windows Credential Manager and edit or delete passwords there....   One way to access it is to type from the run window or cmd prompt control keymgr.dll

Once there you click on Windows Credentials on the top tab, by default is Web Credentials and then remove or edit entries as needed

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users