Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice on a good Antimalware/Antivirus

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Neostarwcc

Neostarwcc

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:18 AM

I recently, downloaded and used Hitman Pro and LOVE the product. My problem with HitmanPro, Malwarebytes, and any other antimalware/antivirus programs I've used, is they all have yearly fees that are only good on one to three computers.

I have over six computers that I actively use in my house and it would get QUITE expensive to buy security software for them all. It's bad enough that I had to pay almost $900 to stick operating systems on them all.

So, I've been searching for a good Anti-Malware & Anti Virus commercial product with lifetime licenses like Malwarebytes used to have, I've had no such luck so far. Does such a product exist in the cyber security market?  Or are they all greedy and I have to fork over $180+ a year just to keep my computers secure?

I don't mind investing $200-$300 for a license if I can have that license for forever. But, why should I have to pay $180 yearly just to keep my computers secure?

Or, are there any freeware alternatives that I can use to scan my computers with?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:44 AM

So, I've been searching for a good Anti-Malware & Anti Virus commercial product with lifetime licenses like Malwarebytes used to have, I've had no such luck so far. Does such a product exist in the cyber security market? Or are they all greedy and I have to fork over $180+ a year just to keep my computers secure?

Lifetime licences barely exists for these kind of products anymore. Every business is moving from the lifetime licence business model to the yearly (even monthly) subscription model. Microsoft is also doing it with their products, so will other companies like AutoCAD. I guess that in the end, they ended up losing money by offering lifetime licences so it was less profitable. I can tell you that all Antivirus products that are worth using also have yearly licences, and so does Antimalware products.

Or, are there any freeware alternatives that I can use to scan my computers with?

You can scan your computer with the free version of Malwarebytes. The free version doesn't include real-time protection, but if you only want to run scans, then it'll be enough for your needs.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Neostarwcc

Neostarwcc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:53 AM

I do occasionally use Malwarebytes but, I've noticed a lot of times, It'll leave things behind. There was one particular thing on my mothers computer that I was trying to remove and it didn't find it at all even with the free trial of their premium version.

But, I scanned with a free trial of HitmanPro and, it found and removed all kinds of things that malwarebytes missed and the rootkit that I was trying to find and remove originally. Problem is, they're only trials and I'd love to have the premium version. It'd just get really expensive with the amount of computers I'd have to use it for.

Is Spybot search and destroy still around? I should do a Google for that, that used to be a great way to prevent spyware and malware from being installed in the first place. I can always just do a low level format and install that if it's still around and updated. I haven't used it since I was like 20 years old though.

If I have no other choice, I guess I can just stick with a good freeware program or just suck it up and dish out several hundred dollars a year. I was just wondering, if any companies existed anymore that offered lifetime.

*edit* nvm it wasn't called Spybot Search and Destroy that was another program. It was a freeware program that almost everyone used that prevented Spyware and Malware from being installed on your computer. You could buy a premium version of it for it to auto update itself. 

Found it, it was called Spyware Blaster. It's still being updated.

Edited by Neostarwcc, 21 June 2016 - 07:06 AM.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:08 AM

There was one particular thing on my mothers computer that I was trying to remove and it didn't find it at all even with the free trial of their premium version.

Detection ratio isn't affected by the version you use, only features are.

But, I scanned with a free trial of HitmanPro and, it found and removed all kinds of things that malwarebytes missed and the rootkit that I was trying to find and remove originally.

HitmanPro will detect a lot more things than Malwarebytes because I think it also flag cookies, but since these aren't malicious (they are a privacy issue at most), Malwarebytes don't flag them. SUPERAntiSpyware and Zemana also flags them I think.

Is Spybot search and destroy still around? I should do a Google for that, that used to be a great way to prevent spyware and malware from being installed in the first place. I can always just do a low level format and install that if it's still around and updated. I haven't used it since I was like 20 years old though.

Spybot isn't the same product it was years ago. Many other modern Antimalware products, such as Malwarebytes, HitmanPro and Zemana are better than it.

Found it, it was called Spyware Blaster. It's still being updated.

I think it had another name prior to being called SpywareBlaster, not sure. I know BrightFort LLC used to be Javacool.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:11 AM

I think that if you contacted Zemana Antmalware, they would be wiling to work with you, and it is very effective. :)

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:39 AM

Just like with anti-virus programs...there is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-malware solution to supplement your existing security protection. Every security vendor's lab uses different scanning engines and different detection methods. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Neostarwcc

Neostarwcc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:46 AM

Spybot isn't the same product it was years ago. Many other modern Antimalware products, such as Malwarebytes, HitmanPro and Zemana are better than it.

So I've heard, I stopped using it back in like 2010 if I remember right because of that. I just got the two program names confused all anti-malware programs have similar sounding names.

I think it had another name prior to being called SpywareBlaster, not sure. I know BrightFort LLC used to be Javacool.

I... think it was called Spyware blaster back when I heard about it back in 2004. But, I'm not sure that's remembering 12 years back, I was still in my last year of high school. Google isn't helping... hmm... I don't know I can't remember that many years ago.

I think that if you contacted Zemana Antmalware, they would be wiling to work with you, and it is very effective. :)

$93.99 for 3 years for 5 PCs not bad. That's probably the cheapest I'm ever going to find. I'll run a trial scan and check them out.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:55 AM

I... think it was called Spyware blaster back when I heard about it back in 2004. But, I'm not sure that's remembering 12 years back

It has always been called SpywareBlaster.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:56 AM

$93.99 for 3 years for 5 PCs not bad. That's probably the cheapest I'm ever going to find. I'll run a trial scan and check them out.

They are effective as well, couple that with the free Voodooshield and you would be hard pressed to get any sort of malware on your machines.

Also........ Some free programs to keep your machine updated - malware free - ad free and running well. :)

suggest the following in place of adblock.
Alternate DNS Server. Ad Blocking DNS.

Ublock Origin.

Anti Ad Block Killer.

Also, keep your browsing private with these tools:

Self Destructing Cookies.

Self Destructing Cookies Chrome.

Some items to keep you safe on the internet.

VooDoo Shield. control of what is running on your machine

Qualys BrowserCheck To update plugins.

Web Of Trust  To Avoid  Shady Websites.

Unchecky To Avoid Bundled Software.

Privazer To Clean up your mahcine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users