Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer keeps restarting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AJ7469

AJ7469

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:40 AM

I'm not too sure why but my computer keeps restarting randomly. Anyone know why?

Edited by AJ7469, 21 June 2016 - 05:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jake-Johnson17

Jake-Johnson17

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:02 AM

This can be due to the CPU over heating, consider cleaning the CPU fan and heat sink or even purchasing a new CPU.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:02 AM

Do not purchase a new CPU, that is not the problem. Guaranteed.

Random reboots are actually system crashes and there are multitudinous things that can cause this.

First, we need to know something about your computer.

Please post a scan log for your hardware loadout as follows:

Please go Here and download Speccy system analyzer (free) and save to your problem computer's desktop. Install it.

Allow your computer to run for a few minutes, using it as usual.

Open Speccy. Give it a few seconds to scan your system.

Click File \Publish Snapshot.

In the next screen, click yes.

In the next screen, click Copy To Clipboard.

In your next post, paste that link in the post.

What you can do immediately: open the side of your case and inspect for dust. Especially check the CPU heatsink and fan, dust gets severly clogged in there and can cause overheating. Make sure all fans are spinning, including the case vent fans, and also including the GPU fan IF you have a separate video card with a fan. If you see dust, disconnect the computer, take it out on the rear deck (or where-ever), and blow it out using a vacuum cleaner and reverse the airflow. Put a crevice tool on the hose, it concentrates the air and does a good job. I guess I don't have to say to be gentle. Especially make sure all dust is blown out of the CPU heatsink, it's a bit tricky to see because the fan is mounted on top.

Next, set your system to show an error code instead of just rebooting. This varies depending on what OS you are running (we don't know that yet), but HERE is a link that lists the various operating systems, just find yours and follow directions.

Edited by ranchhand_, 21 June 2016 - 11:05 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:47 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox to your desktop.

Right-click on MiniToolBox.exe and select Run as Administrator.

You will see an image like the one below.

minitoolbox_zps7byuwkla.png

Click on the following checkboxes only:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, then copy it and paste it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 04:58 PM

@AJ7469:

I think DC3 was referring to the Minitoolbox directions as I have already posted the Speccy directions. :)

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users