Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Australia's internet speed dropped from 30th to 60th in the world

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:00 AM

The claim

"The Coalition (Liberal Govt) have had almost three years on this... Over that time we have gone from 30th in the world for internet speeds to 60th in the world for internet speeds," Opposition (Labour party) communications spokesman Jason Clare told ABC's RN Breakfast on June 13, 2016.

Has Australia's global rank for internet speeds fallen from 30th to 60th under the Coalition? ABC Fact Check investigates.

The verdict

Mr Clare is correct.

Experts contacted by Fact Check said reports relied on by Mr Clare, published by content delivery network provider Akamai, are highly regarded and accepted by the industry.

The reports show Australia's average peak connection speed of 30.1 megabits per second ranked 30th in the world in the quarter ending in September 2013, the month the Coalition took office.

The most recent report available at the time the claim was made shows Australia's average peak connection speed of 39.3 mbps ranked 60th in the world in the quarter ending in December 2015.

Experts consulted by Fact Check said the Coalition contributed to Australia's drop in rankings for several reasons, including its policy of rolling out fibre to the node technology rather than fibre to the premises.

(read on...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-21/fact-check-australias-internet-speed-rank/7509352

Edited by Condobloke, 21 June 2016 - 05:07 AM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,836 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:12 AM

I get 10mbs, and its plenty fast enough.

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:48 PM

Apparently you and I are in the minority Nick....we must live in the 'sticks'....and therefore do not deserve the 39 mb/s that the rest of Oz gets

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:42 PM

Just downloaded a file at 15 mbps, 178 meg took like 15 seconds maybe!

At home i got Wireless NBN and thats fine, download at around 3.2 max.

The issue is multiple people at the one residence that starts causing issues, single males/females who are the only ones accessing the net at any given time wouldn't need much at all.

#5 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:14 AM

60th in the world ain't bad, given how many countries there are.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:59 AM

Any opportunity we have to rip one into a politician for a broken promise......we take it.

Promise check: Deliver broadband speeds of 25-100 mbps by the end of 2016 and 50-100 mbps by the end of 2019

Edited by Condobloke, 22 June 2016 - 01:59 AM.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,836 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:17 AM

This is an outrage I tell you,  New Zealand has faster net that we do!!!, Oh well at least the Kiwis can say they beat us at something.

Edited by NickAu, 22 June 2016 - 02:17 AM.

#8 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:35 AM

This could be because of an undersea cable line break.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/03/03/linode_says_several_cables_serving_singapore_cut/ Linode: Major cuts to several submarine cables to Singapore Ugly ping times after quake, Telstra confirms comms are knackered

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#9 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:52 PM

This is an outrage I tell you,  New Zealand has faster net that we do!!!, Oh well at least the Kiwis can say they beat us at something.

All the kiwi fellas i have helped out over teamviewer all have 100 meg connections lol.

All i hear "What do you mean you have adsl bro, whats that bro"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users