Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to get rid of data - Copy when pasting?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 araragi

araragi

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 03:49 AM

For example I have data1.kom and data1.kom but they have different data in them. When I paste it, it gives data1.kom - Copy. How do I just get it to replace the original data1.kom?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 06:08 PM

One of the basic rules of computing, and I think this applies to everything from super computers to tablets and to all operating systems, is that you cannot have two files in the same 'place' with the same name.

If you want these two files as separate files then you are going to have to rename one of them - at its simplest append the date you created it. So, 'data1 May.com', 'data1 June.com' and so on.

If you only want one of them, the one with the latest data, then use the 'Save as' command. In your case 'Save as . . . data1.kom' and this will replace the earlier file with the later one.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 powernub

powernub

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:56 PM

I think Copy only gets appended when you are duplicating a file (Copy pasting) in the same folder. Otherwise it will ask you if you want to overwrite,in which case you will click yes.

Edited by powernub, 29 June 2016 - 01:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users