Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD Passport Becomes Local Drive & CanNOT Be Accessed

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 castielus

castielus

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:37 AM

I have a 3-year old WD My Passport Ultra 2TB. Yesterday, it worked fine until suddenly it failed when my computer was still on. I restarted and found its name had turned into local drive, without any available space written underneath. I could not click it either. Physically, my WD is fine. It doesn't give off any sound. 

I tried several things and it all FAILED, simply because most programs and even Windows can't work properly when my WD is connected. 
* Disk Management can't show the partition - keep loading virtual disk
* Right click at Local Drive gives no result - my computer keeps loading. Thus I can not format
* Scandisk & Fdisk via Command prompt can not check it - keep loading with blank result
* HDD Regenerator fails also. It shows "Please wait" like forever

* When installing software, it keeps computing disc space and stops there. When I unplug my WD, the installation suddenly resumes
* TestDisk fails to check my WD. it keeps loading with blank result
* My PC can't even be turned off when my WD is connected. I have to forcefully unplug it.

Please help :( 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 04:36 AM

My earlier experience with WD Passport platter-driven HD is that the device comes with an encryption process built in, and the un-lock/entry "door" program to that drive, is on what is supposed to be the Windows OS partition, commonly called "c drive."  That door was originally set up by you to either have: you provide the password or the program automatically provides the password -- which then provides access through the WD Passport's on-board encryption and onto the whole WD Passport HD.  I'm wondering if that process, which must go smoothly every time, is no longer working smoothly or at all.

There might be a way to "brute-force" fix it - outside of your computer, I have to go back and find the URL and/or the notes.

Edited by RolandJS, 21 June 2016 - 04:43 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 castielus

castielus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:22 AM

My earlier experience with WD Passport platter-driven HD is that the device comes with an encryption process built in, and the un-lock/entry "door" program to that drive, is on what is supposed to be the Windows OS partition, commonly called "c drive."  That door was originally set up by you to either have: you provide the password or the program automatically provides the password -- which then provides access through the WD Passport's on-board encryption and onto the whole WD Passport HD.  I'm wondering if that process, which must go smoothly every time, is no longer working smoothly or at all.

There might be a way to "brute-force" fix it - outside of your computer, I have to go back and find the URL and/or the notes.

I don't set up any encryption or password. I was downloading some files into that HDD when it suddenly removed itself. When I restarted my computer, it could no longer be read. 

A few months ago, that same WD also had a digital accident. But at that time, the content can still be read although it also took some time to read it. I fixed it by changing drive letter via Disk Management. But this time, Disk Management can not get into the list of partition :( 

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:31 AM

Apparently, the current computer and the WD Passport do not work together.  At this point, what is it you would like to do?  Forcibly reformat the WD Passport Ultra?  Attempt to recover the data on the WD Passport Ultra?

Earlier, when my WD Passport failed to allow me to read it, I was left with those two choices.  After a bruteforce reformat, I returned the portable drive to Frys Electronics and told them what happened and what I did.

Edited by RolandJS, 21 June 2016 - 06:32 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:45 AM

Does Disk Management list the drive as RAW? It may be the USB bridge card but unfortunately most WD portables have the bridge card integrated withe the drive's PCB so it is not possible to remove the drive and place it in an enclosure.

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 June 2016 - 07:47 AM.

#6 castielus

castielus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:04 AM

Does Disk Management list the drive as RAW? It may be the USB bridge card but unfortunately most WD portables have the bridge card integrated withe the drive's PCB so it is not possible to remove the drive and place it in an enclosure.

Disk Management fails to list any partition because it keeps showing "Connecting To Virtual Disk Service", like forever. 
Integrated card? Oh no :( 

Apparently, the current computer and the WD Passport do not work together.  At this point, what is it you would like to do?  Forcibly reformat the WD Passport Ultra?  Attempt to recover the data on the WD Passport Ultra?

Earlier, when my WD Passport failed to allow me to read it, I was left with those two choices.  After a bruteforce reformat, I returned the portable drive to Frys Electronics and told them what happened and what I did.

I'd like to recover my files first. But if it's impossible without reformatting bruteforce-ly, then I'm ready to do that. 
In your case, did you at least manage to recover some of your files? 

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:32 AM

WD portables can have firmware that enables a virtual CD drive when connected. Is there a Virtual CD drive listed in Device Manager under your CD drive listing? I would disable it.

Here is a good article on the problem that can happen with a USB connector integrated with the drive's PCB.

https://kbiva.wordpress.com/2015/09/28/repairing-wd-my-passport-essential-portable-hard-drive/

I would see if it's possible linux could pick up the drive. Download UBCD and burn the iso file. Boot UBCD. At the menu screen select Parted Magic. Hopefully you will be able to mount the drive using this guide.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:34 AM

Let's try JohnC's idea first  :)

#9 castielus

castielus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:10 AM

WD portables can have firmware that enables a virtual CD drive when connected. Is there a Virtual CD drive listed in Device Manager under your CD drive listing? I would disable it.

Here is a good article on the problem that can happen with a USB connector integrated with the drive's PCB.

https://kbiva.wordpress.com/2015/09/28/repairing-wd-my-passport-essential-portable-hard-drive/

I would see if it's possible linux could pick up the drive. Download UBCD and burn the iso file. Boot UBCD. At the menu screen select Parted Magic. Hopefully you will be able to mount the drive using this guide.

I want to report that your suggestion works. BUT file recovery goes verrrryyy slow. I'm recovering a folder of photos, probably worth 4GB.  In 8 hours, I only manage to recover 240 photos (around 3MB per photo) only... Is there any faster way?  

Edited by castielus, 23 June 2016 - 02:46 AM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:36 AM

Unfortunately no. This slow recovery indicates either a failing drive or file system corruption. How much have you recovered so far? Are the files recovered readable?

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:13 AM

"...Are the files recovered readable?"  -- JohnC

JohnC is quietly pointing out something very important: an end-user cannot assume a recovered file is readable and usable. End-user needs to spot-check, let's for example every 10th file, to ensure the recovery process is as successful as it possibly can be.

Edited by RolandJS, 23 June 2016 - 12:25 PM.

#12 castielus

castielus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:26 AM

Unfortunately no. This slow recovery indicates either a failing drive or file system corruption. How much have you recovered so far? Are the files recovered readable?

I've only recovered very tiny fragment from my entire 2TB data. I still have a long way to go, thanks to the super slow speed. I'm currently recovering my photo folder called Camera. I have 303 photos so far. All of them are readable, without corruption. It led me to believe that my data is intact but somehow the connection between my data and computer is damaged. I assume it's because sometimes I forcefully turned off my computer. Any idea how to restore the connection?

"...Are the files recovered readable?"  -- JohnC

JohnC is quietly pointing out something very important: an end-user one cannot assume a recovered file is readable and usable. End-user needs to spot-check, let's for example every 10th file, to ensure the recovery process is as successful as it possibly can be.

To my surprise, my recovered files so far are all intact.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:40 AM

The only thing I can think of is to try a new USB cable to the WD and attach the WD to a different computer. Have you tired a different USB port?

Edit: Forcibly turning off the computer should not affect your USB ports. Also Parted Magic most likely does not have a USB 3.0 drivers. A later version of a linux distro would have USB 3.0 drivers. This may speed up the recovery but I can't say for sure.

Is your WD drive USB 3.0?

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 June 2016 - 09:43 AM.

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:30 PM

"...sometimes I forcefully turned off my computer..."  castielus

Perhaps later on, you can bring this up in another thread, and the BC folks can help you solve that situation.

JohnC, even though the usb ports are unaffected by a sudden forced shutoff, ?perhaps at least one of the forced shutoffs can negatively affect an attached usb media device?

Edited by RolandJS, 23 June 2016 - 12:30 PM.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:32 PM

It's possible the problem arose if the computer was forcibly shut down with the WD attached otherwise forcing the shutdown, I believe, would not affect the USB ports themselves and linux takes any Windows problem with the USB ports out of the picture.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users