I have a 3-year old WD My Passport Ultra 2TB. Yesterday, it worked fine until suddenly it failed when my computer was still on. I restarted and found its name had turned into local drive, without any available space written underneath. I could not click it either. Physically, my WD is fine. It doesn't give off any sound.
I tried several things and it all FAILED, simply because most programs and even Windows can't work properly when my WD is connected.
* Disk Management can't show the partition - keep loading virtual disk
* Right click at Local Drive gives no result - my computer keeps loading. Thus I can not format
* Scandisk & Fdisk via Command prompt can not check it - keep loading with blank result
* HDD Regenerator fails also. It shows "Please wait" like forever
* When installing software, it keeps computing disc space and stops there. When I unplug my WD, the installation suddenly resumes
* TestDisk fails to check my WD. it keeps loading with blank result
* My PC can't even be turned off when my WD is connected. I have to forcefully unplug it.