Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extending Wireless Network Via Extra Router

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shiday

shiday

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:19 PM

Hello, thanks for reading this...

I have a small home network consisting of 2 desktop pcs and a wireless laptop (connected through a Belkin Router..model f5d7230-4).

I want to also add 2 more desktop pcs that are in another room.

I have an extra Dlink G router (model DI-524). I want to know if I can pick up the wireless signal from the Belkin router and have the Dlink router connect the two desktop pcs to be added with ethernet cables.

So to say it differently.... I want the Dlink router to pick up the wireless signal (that already exists), then have it route internet to the two desktop pcs via ethernet cable.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zerorelation

zerorelation

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 03:03 PM

The 524 is well known for being difficult to configure as a wireless bridge or access point. If you're in for a battle, I'm game to help! Let me know!

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 04:59 PM

Just a suggestiong like that... If the dlink is a pain why not use the D-link as the main and use the belkin as the bridge...

#4 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:02 PM

why dongt you just hard wire the 2 pc's and connect the wireless tot he di-524, cutting down on the latency of having 2 routers. there is no need to further complicate things using another "hop", or router. if you had to for some reason, use the brlkin as the gateway router, wire the dlink to it, use dlink as access point , change the lan ip range on the dlink to something like 10.10.10.1, to reduce ip issues, select DHCP as the WAN connection protocol on the dlink. put some kind of security on the wireless, like 128 bit wep or something. simple enough. reboot the routers, starting with the belkin, then the dlink, reboot all the computers, you now have net and a lan.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#5 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:05 PM

Just thought of this you could also just install two wireless cards in the two extra pcs and connect that way... Alot simpler and not extremely expensive...

Darn... Why didn't I think of this before...

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 01:25 PM

The easiest way to do this (IMO) is to set the main network up on the wired router using DHCP. Then, setup the wireless router as an access point with DHCP disabled. Keep the IP settings on the wireless router separate from those on the wired router and everything should work fine (that's how I've got mine setup).

Here's the IP's
Wired router - 192.168.0.1
Wired PC 1 - 192.168.0.2
Wired PC 2 - 192.168.0.3
Wired PC 3 - 192.168.0.4
Wired PC 4 - 192.168.0.8
Wired PC 5 - 192.168.0.9
Wireless router - 192.168.0.99 (limiting available IP's from 192.168.0.50 to 192.168.0.98)
Wireless laptop - 192.168.0.50
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users