Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gaming Computer

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 TubbinAtor

TubbinAtor

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:20 PM

Hi everyone, this is my first time building a computer. i have gathered all the parts on a list. If you would please help me and tell me what is good and what is not with my build. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/qCdsYr

There is the list. Please say whatever you are thinking. 

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:59 PM

looks good to me but what id recommend is a SSD drive wether it be a pcie ssd drive or a sata ssd drive itll greatly help obtain the performance your looking for

Edited by TheTripleDeuce, 20 June 2016 - 08:59 PM.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:59 AM

What is the overall budget for this PC?  You may want to wait until AMD's new RX 480 comes out.  Assuming the prices and performance previews are accurate, this may put downward price pressure on some GPU's.  if you are looking to save some money, you can cut the RAM by half and still have great performance.  That much RAM is usually unnecessary except under certain conditions, such as rendering.  Alternatively, you could go for different RAM, such as G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133.  If you are going for that GPU, you only need a 700W or so PSU, so you can get one with a lower wattage, such as the EVGA 210-GQ-0750-V1 750W

3939.png

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:33 AM

CPU: 6700K is overpriced and build quality is very poor on every almost aspect (durability, thermal paste under HS). Alternative: Core i7-5820K.

Cooler: OK

MB: That's for non-overclockable CPU's, so absolutely no. Alternative: Any Z170 board OR any LGA2011-3 board is going with i7-5820K.

Memory: 2*16GB is better choice.

Storage: HDD is OK, but SSD is missing

Video card: As DJBPace07 said, RX480

Case: OK

PSU: as DJBPace07 said

Windows: Retail version is much better http://pcpartpicker.com/product/wskwrH/microsoft-os-kw900016

#5 TubbinAtor

TubbinAtor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:03 AM

Thank you for the help! i decided to switch some parts up and ill look into the new amd RX480.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/6VtwPs

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:21 AM

Thank you for the help! i decided to switch some parts up and ill look into the new amd RX480.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/6VtwPs

Much better.

SSD is using TLC chips and because MLC is better than TLC, go for http://pcpartpicker.com/product/KzyxFT/crucial-internal-hard-drive-ct250mx200ssd1

#7 TubbinAtor

TubbinAtor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 02:02 PM

I have a few more questions. Would it be better to buy a mid or full tower case? Should i buy extra fans? Lastly, what is a good cpu fan that is very quiet?

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 02:08 PM

I have a few more questions. Would it be better to buy a mid or full tower case? Should i buy extra fans? Lastly, what is a good cpu fan that is very quiet?

Bigger case makes building and upgrading computer easier. Extra fans depends on how many fans case have default. Many choices for silent CPU cooler, one http://pcpartpicker.com/product/B8rcCJ/thermalright-cpu-cooler-legrandmachort

#9 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 03:23 PM

if you can afford a full tower go full tower itll be with you a long time :) I bought a DF-85 and will never go back to mid tower haha

#10 Highjinks

Highjinks

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 04:12 PM

One thing about fans though, don't just go a bunch of fans and slap them all over the place. Most towers are designed with specific airflow paths designed, so if you put and extra fan pulling or pushing air in the wrong direction. it'll completely ruin your cooling. 

*Edit for tower sizes. Personally, i think it comes to personal preference, and space. I have a Full tower, and I wouldn't do it any other way because i'm constantly working in it, add/remove parts so on and so forth. But it does take up a LOT of room.

Edited by Highjinks, 21 June 2016 - 04:13 PM.

#11 TubbinAtor

TubbinAtor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:20 PM

Ive decided to go with a full tower. i went with this one https://pcpartpicker.com/product/mn3RsY/phanteks-case-phes614pbk after reading many good reviews on it and it has a good price.

also for the video card i am looking for the best performance. the price doesnt bother me so would the r9 390 be better than the RX480?

Edited by TubbinAtor, 21 June 2016 - 07:33 PM.

#12 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:55 AM

also for the video card i am looking for the best performance. the price doesnt bother me so would the r9 390 be better than the RX480?

What is known so far, RX480 is overall much better.

#13 TubbinAtor

TubbinAtor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:30 PM

ive heard the i7-5820k is overkill for gaming. is this true?

#14 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 04:20 PM

ive heard the i7-5820k is overkill for gaming. is this true?

With DX12, no. With Windows using network connection, no. If playing only casual or light games and not having anything on background (=not doing any multitasking), yes.

Forget offline benchmarks, they just don't have any reflection on real world use. Offline benchmarks may show that dual core is good for gaming. Now when Windows wants to update itself, it puts 2 cores to maximum load. Not hard to guess how "good" dual core is for gaming then.

Other reasons for i7-5820K are better durability (i7-6700K is just too weak http://www.extremetech.com/computing/218918-thinner-intel-skylake-cpus-are-breaking-because-of-third-party-cpu-coolers ) and while 5820K has soldered HS (heatspreader), i7-6700K has crappy thermal paste under HS. It's hard to understand why anyone pays over 300$ for crap like 6700K when much faster CPU with much better build quality cost only about 50$ more.

#15 TubbinAtor

TubbinAtor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:18 PM

is a cpu that can overclock needed for gaming?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users