Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing library location changes all other libraries

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 errorproxy

errorproxy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:54 PM

My downloads, documents, videos, desktop library folders are labeled as Documents and when I change one of the locations they all change.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:37 PM

Perhaps leave them be, lest more grief than joy visit you.  I made parallel directories in my D partition and educated all programs to copy to, move to, write to, save to, right into designated D partition folders.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:48 PM

How do you change the location of your user profile folders?

Posted Image

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 04:53 PM

Go to your user profile in File Explorer,

Right click on the folders that you want to reassign (one at a time)

Select "Properties", then select the "Location" tab

Click on the "Move" button and select where you want it to go.

It's advisable to backup these folders before moving them.  That way if something goes wrong you'll still have them available.

EDIT:  FYI - you can't move the My Documents folder (and the other similar one's) with the shortcut arrows on them.  These are actually junction points.  They are like links, but are provided for compatibility purpowses so that older programs will still work.  For example, My Documents is a junction point,while Documents is the actual folder.

Edited by usasma, 21 June 2016 - 04:55 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users