Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PNY USB Flash Drive question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sremed60

sremed60

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:20 PM

I have one of those really small PNY USB flash drives. It's only like an inch long or so. I've had it for several years and haven't used it in awhile. I plugged it in this morning to transfer the files to an external HDD I have. When I plug it in a get an error message that reads:

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the default Programs control panel"

I can view all of the files just fine. But when I high light them and click on them to copy them I get the buffering wheel spinning and spinning, and eventually get the error message that says "Windows Explorer is not responding." At that point the program won't shut down.

I have other USB flash drives and my external Hard drive is USB, and they all seem to work fine. I have a lot of old pictures stored on the flash drive, which is why I wanted to back them up. 

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I believe my computer is 8 years old. It came with Windows Vista OS and I upgraded it to Windows 7 sometime in 2012 or 2013. I paid for the upgrade from a Microsoft Tech so it is a legal licensed OS, however I never got any discs or anything. The guy installed it a,d I paid him and took it home. So if it is the OS that's corrupted I'm not quite sure how to fix it. I don't have any discs to re install anything from.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:31 PM

I would see if you can copy the files outside of Windows. Download UBCD. Burn the iso to a CD or DVD by right clicking the iso file and selecting Burn Disk Image. At the menu screen select Parted Magic. See this guide on using Parted Magic to copy files. You would be copying from the USB flash drive to the HDD. 

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,515 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:42 PM

Could be that the flash drive died on ya. That's typical behavior for a drive to do that if it has problems reading/copying/writing. Another problem would be that the drive usb end is damage and same on the computers usb port.

#4 sremed60

sremed60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:11 AM

I can use other USB flash drives. I get this error - "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the default Programs control panel" with every flash drive I plug in. I close it and the others seem to work fine. This little one has always worked fine in the past, and we haven't touched it in at least a year. My wife is going to bring her laptop home from work tonight to see if it will work in that.

It opens up fine in my computer. I can see all the files and folders. Sometimes I can even open a folder and see all the files inside it. But as soon as I try to highlight and copy a file I get that Windows Explorer is not responding error and it freezes up. Like I said, I have 3 or 4 other flash drives that seem to work just fine. This little PNY was my wife's (because she thought it was cute). It's 4GB and she has a ton of pictures that were super important to her. She put them on there specifically so they wouldn't accidentally get deleted off something else.

I'm not sure about burning disc images or iso's or whatever that is. This computer is 8 years old. The original OS was Vista and I had it upgraded to Windows 7. I used to burn CD's and DVD's on it a long time ago, but it seems to me I started having issues so I stopped. I rarely, if ever even open the CD/DVD tray anymore. I don't know if I even have any software on here that would allow me to "burn" anything, or if the CD/DVD player even works.  

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:16 AM

There is a way to create a bootable USB flash drive if you do not have a spare CD/DVD. Imgburn is a small program that can burn an iso file to disk but first see if the flash drive works on your wife's computer. 

#6 sremed60

sremed60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:36 AM

There is a way to create a bootable USB flash drive if you do not have a spare CD/DVD. Imgburn is a small program that can burn an iso file to disk but first see if the flash drive works on your wife's computer. 

Hi. It's 9:25am and my wife won't be home until after 6:30pm. When she does get home she'll have our 2 year old grand daughter with her so the chances of me getting on her laptop to check it out are slim to none. (plus I'm not the most patient guy around). For the past week I've been transferring files from every known place we had them saved over 21 years of marriage. A box full of CD's and several odds and ends thumb drives, an old laptop, my wifes laptop, and my desktop. I've been transferring everything to a 500GB external Hard Drive just to get it all in one place and (hopefully) keep it a little safer and more accessible. That little PNY thumb drive of my wifes is literally the last thing I had to transfer. 

SOOOOO. If there's a way to get those files off there (NOW) with that imageburn, (and no CD/DVD) involved, and if you think it's something you could walk me thru without permanently deleting everything . . . I'm all for it.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:03 PM

Download the iso I linked to of UBCD. Download Rufus which allows you to create a bootable USB flash drive IF the computer allows you to boot from USB. What is the make and model number of the computer that will be using Rufus to create the bootable flash drive. Some allow you to access a boot menu at startup to select your bootable device otherwise you will need to access your UEFI/BIOS to select USB before your HDD as a boot device. 

Run Rufus with your flash drive attached. Make sure the flash drive is detected in the first box. Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Where you see FreeDos in the dropdown box select iso image. Click the icon next to iso image and browse to the UBCD iso you downloaded. Press Start. Important: backup any data on the flash drive as it will be erased. 

Reboot the computer with the flash drive in place. At the UBCD menu screen select Parted Magic. At the parted magic desktop attach your PNY drive. Mount the drive as shown in the guide I linked to. http://fixit.litten.com/linuxfilecopy.html    The second image shows how to mount all your disks. If Parted Magic does mount the PNY (PNY should be listed with the other drives as shown in the image) copy and paste the files from the WD to your computer drive. 

Edit: Rufus link

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Edit Edit: My Mistake, I was thinking about another thread. You will see PNY in the box.

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 June 2016 - 12:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users