Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't get to login screen, black screen and cursor

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Atrav

Atrav

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:18 PM

Hello. Recently had a virus and have been going through the steps here on bleeping computer to help get rid of it. The last thing I was told to do was run the farbar scan tool and to copy and paste a code and hit fix. Upon doing so the computer prompted for a restart. It now won't get to the log in screen. I've tried booting in safe mode and I've also tried last known working configuration as suggested and nothing has worked unfortunately. I was told to come here. Hopefully something can be done. Thanks a ton.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,859 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:01 PM

Tap F8 at boot and select Repair Computer from the Advanced Boot Options. Do a System Restore to a date just before the problem. 

You cannot do the above and if you have another Windows 7 computer create a System Repair Disk. Boot and try a System Restore to a date just before the problem.

#3 Atrav

Atrav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:28 AM

So I did as suggested with tapping f8 and doing a system restore and I had 3 restore points to choose from with the longest being 5 day ago. Tried that one first and it and it was unable to restore. Then tried the other two. The restore that ended up working was the one that dated the day the issue occurred but upon rebooting it's still the black screen. Nothing prior to the date would work. So I'm still having the same issue. I'm assuming that using the second option (boot disc) would result in the same thing?

Edited by Atrav, 21 June 2016 - 12:37 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,859 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:51 AM

First see if doing a powercycle helps. Unplug power cord from the computer and remove the battery if a laptop. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Do not replace the battery if a laptop and plug in the power cord. Boot the computer.

Yes, the boot disk would give the same result. The only thing I can suggest if the powercycle does not work is to try doing a Startup Repair. This may take up to three attempt before Windows does a complete repair.

#5 Atrav

Atrav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:12 AM

The power cycle doesn't work and I've also just tried the repair System option a couple of times and it says that it doesn't detect a problem.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,859 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:51 AM

Please download Fatdog64Fatdog64-702.iso  Burn the iso to disk or you can use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. Run Rufus with the flash drive attached. Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. In the dropdown box that lists FreeDos select iso image and browse to the Fatdog iso. Press Start. Any data on the flash drive should be backed up first.

At the Fatdog desktop you will see your partitions in the lower left labeled sda1...sda2... etc depending on how many partition are on the HDD. I believe for Windows 7 your system partition would be labeled sda2 but I am not 100% as a GPT disk will be different if you have one. Click once on sda2. The partition will mount and a File Manager will open. If you do not see your Windows files select another sdaX partition. When you do find your Windows files browse to the following directory. Windows/System32/config/Regback.  You only need to click once on a folder to open it.  What are the dates for the registry hives in the Regback folder?

If the dates on the files in Regback are before the problem then do the following. Browse to the config subfolder in System32 and rename the registry hives 

System to System.bak

Software to Software.bak

Default to Default.bak

Sam to Sam.bak

Security. Security.bak

Go to the Regback folder and Copy the five registry hives to the config folder. In Fatdog the copy is a little different. The easiest way to open another File Manager by clicking once on the sdaX Windows partition and browsing to the Regback folder. Have both Windows open and side by side. You can resize and drag the File Manager windows similar to Windows. Drag the Regback files to the config File Manager window. A small dialog box will open. Select Copy. 

If the dated files in Regback are after the problem or the above does not work then the only thing to try is some diskpart commands. If those fail then I think your only option would be to copy all your personal data to an external drive using Fatdog and reinstalling Windows 7 using either an install disk or the recovery partition on your HDD if the computer is an OEM and the recovery partition is intact.

#7 Atrav

Atrav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 02:54 PM

So tried everything and just decided to back up my data and do a factory restore and things are back up and running. Thanks a lot for your help!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,859 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:36 PM

No problem, sometimes it's best to cut your losses and do a factory reset. Glad you are back up and running.

After you get your computer updated and setup to your preferences I would look at creating a complete disk image to an external drive using either Macrium Reflect Free or Aomei Backupper Standard. This will let you recover your computer using the recovery media both programs provide allowing you to be back up in minutes. 

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

http://www.backup-utility.com/free-backup-software.html

#9 CECII

CECII

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 03:11 AM

A little piece of advice, you may backup your system regularly so that you can bring your computer back to earlier date you like not just the factory setting. The difference between the two is that the former keeps your operating system and applications so that you don't need to reinstall them again, while the latter need you to reinstalled everything (you already know this). Here, manually backup is a troublesome job, but there are free software for you to do scheduled backup, such as those JohnC-21 recommend to you. 

#10 Atrav

Atrav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2016 - 03:22 AM

Made sure to do so. Thanks a lot johnC! And thank you CECII.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users