Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible for a message from your internet provider to appear on your scree

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 laurie83833

laurie83833

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 20 June 2016 - 04:00 PM

Hi there wondering..

I know there are virus the will hijack your computer and/or browser with various messages like from a tech support place saying something like..  this and locks up your computer

Is there any viruses out there that will insert your internet providers name on the screen such as below?

My computer is now locked up with a message from Hawaiian telecomm that there is an issue with my computer and windows 7. It provided a support number to call It says not to turn off the computer or I could loss data or damage the operating system. 

I have never seen or heard where your internet providers name is inserted, Thought I would ask just to be sure as it seems I have a problem tenant that has been coming up with various excuses to break her lease and just wondered it this was another attempt since she does work remotely from our rental home.   So she does need her computer and the internet.

I'm pretty techny and have worked on customers computers etc for many years but I do not know of any hijack virus tor maleware hat could insert your providers name direct.    Things may have changed and maybe not unusual now. 

Thank you,

Edited by hamluis, 20 June 2016 - 04:30 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 20 June 2016 - 04:15 PM

Personally, I think this is an infection. Is this popup in a browser window? If Hawaiian telecom is you ISP do not call the number in the popup. Call them after looking up there customer service number. Ask them if they give a popup similar to what you have. If not then I would PM a moderator asking that your thread be moved to the Am I Infected or Virus Removal Forum.

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 June 2016 - 04:16 PM.

#3 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,657 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2016 - 04:20 PM

Yes it is possible for malware to insert your IP, ISP and even a place close to your location. Its malware in the form of "tech support" scamming.

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#4 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:15 PM

it is possible for your ISP to send you direct messages to your web browser, however what your describing sounds like a malicious pop up that simply traced your IP address and broadcasted it in the pop up message which is very common now a days

sites like this https://www.mirahost.com/tools/isp show how easily it is for a pop up to scrape your ip and ISP from their site and inject it into a malicious pop up

that being said if shes claiming the ISP is blocking her her case is a matter of infection and not a matter of ISP blocking here so its a user preventable pop up which can be prevented by safe web browsing

Edited by TheTripleDeuce, 20 June 2016 - 05:19 PM.

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:29 PM

Yes, a ISP can redirect or send popup browser alerts directly into your browser alerting you to security/emergency issues or unusual activity problems with your account that need your attention. Typically they will also send a e-mail and also security alert message on the account itself online. You can opt out some this in the account too. Third party parenting control service, even routers have parenting controls to send out alert actions and e-mails. However, the problem with alert windows is that it's very easy to trick or fool someone with a fake and then you get worried and actually login to your account and they logged your credentials. It's best to close out the popup & not click "OK" or "I Agree" just close the entire browser out if your not 100% certain what it is and call the ISP. Some are legit action alerts. In fact this is also a part of the local/state/national emergency alert system. Similar to the TV alert system. If a tornado is heading your way it would be nice to get alert wouldn't it? LOL

#6 laurie83833

laurie83833
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:07 PM

Thanks everyone.. 

#7 gtrejo

gtrejo

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:31 AM

It's very easy to trace your ISP from your IP address so it's very likely that it was a malicious popup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users