Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinXP Pro Falcor Edition Problems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 HugoBleeper

HugoBleeper

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 20 June 2016 - 02:44 PM

Hello, my name is Hugo, I'm from Argentina, and I have a problem with a PC that is running on Windows XP Professional (Falcor Edition). I'm not quite sure if the problem is originated in the WinXP OS or if it's a hardware problem (since the PC is pretty old, it was purchased in year 2004 in Buenos Aires, Argentina, to work as a server for a cybercafe, and it has been in disuse for several years now). The OS that it's currently using isn't the original OS that the PC had when it was purchased. The problem(s) is(are) the following: For example, I'm logged on as the only (apparently) account available, which is the Administrator account, and I try to access the Hardware configurations from the Control Panel, and nothing opens up, no windows, nothing. I click on the icon and nothing happens. I also tried to access the Device Manager and I have the same problem. If the root of this problem is in the hardware, I'd like to know if a low CMOS battery may be a possible cause for this problem (because when I first booted the PC, the AMIBIOS screen gave me a "Low CMOS Battery" error. Another problem is that the USB ports seem to fail, I can't get it to work properly with anything, it seems to turn on and off intermittantly (for example, If I plug in a pendrive, it apparently "plugs in and out" intermittantly and endlessly. Something similar happens when I plug in a USB mouse, it works "intermittantly", like if there were some kind of physical contact problem in the physical USB port itself. Another problem is that when I connect an ethernet cable (which has internet connection), the OS seems to not detect anything (and since I can't access or manage the hardware, I can't know if it does detect it or not). I'm not sure since I'm not an expert on these things, but maybe some of you can help me out. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, advice or possible solutions to this problem.

NOTE: I've already tried to boot Windows in Safe Mode and I get a bluescreen error every time I try.
The OS has already automatically run CHKDISK more than once and it results in no errors.

NOTE: If a change in the OS would be a possible solution to this problem, I'de like to know if there are any free OS that I could download and install on this PC and use it without problems (which would any of you recommend me). I'de like to know if the PC has the minimum system requirements for such an OS, like Ubuntu, for example. (I'll be posting the system information soon)

Edited by HugoBleeper, 20 June 2016 - 03:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 20 June 2016 - 04:38 PM

You currently have an unathoirzed, illegal version of Windows installed.

Excerpt from the BC Forum Rules:  "No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."

Any attempt to assist you with your unathorized Windows...would be a violation of forum rules.