Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help with upgrading X58 build with OCZ pcie ssd & win 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 knapwon

knapwon

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 20 June 2016 - 12:03 PM

Hello, I need some help with upgrading my computer with newer OS and using a PCIe SSD as primary/boot drive. 

The OS install should be straight forward enough, my main concern with the SSD functioning properly. I bought the SSD several years ago and while its incredibly fast, there were problems resuming from s3 sleep and hibernate so I never used it. I heard from other forums the problem is either my current OS (vista) doesn't support boot from pcie ssd properly, or there's some firmware/bios issue? I don't really understand it. Now I am upgrading my PC to Win 7 Pro, I want to use the PCIe SSD and need advice. I don't want to get the software and hardware installed only to run into the same problem. 

My computer specs:

Motherboard: MSI X58 Platinum SLI 

CPU: Intel i7 920

Graphics: nVidia GTX 560 ti

Sound: Creative SoundBlaster XFi pci-e

Power Supply: Corsair TX 850 (850 watt)

Primary/Boot: Seagate Barracuda 1.5 TB HDD

Secondary/Extras: Samsung HDD, Toshiba HDD

the PCIe SSd is a OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2 240 GB 

planning to install Windows 7 Pro x64 on the pcie ssd

previously i installed my Vista OS on the SSD, it was amazing in every way possible except i couldn't resume from s3 sleep, standby or hibernate, the computer turned on but mouse, keyboard and monitor did not respond. blank black screen. only way to turn off/restart was the reset button or unplugging it. 

Will I run into the same problem again with Win 7? Is there bios or firmware (not sure what that is) updates i need to do to make it work right? Thanks in Advance. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 20 June 2016 - 04:53 PM

The idea of the s3 sleep state is to power down the cpu and system and just use a tiny bit of voltage to keep the memory alive. I imagine the pcie ssd is not be getting power. There is probably better sleep support with a SATA SSD. I would read up on it first to see if the motherboard support standby voltages for the SATA ports. Hibernation s4 state is turned off by default for SSD because of excessive writing. Data in memory is written to the drive and then the system is powered down. System boots up that data is then written back to the system memory. The s5 state with WOL enabled (wake on lan) It is a fully powered down state, but keeps power alive to the network card; enough power to receive a magic broadcast packet to it's MAC address in turn booting the machine remotely.

Edited by technonymous, 20 June 2016 - 04:56 PM.

#3 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:58 PM

Hello, I need some help with upgrading my computer with newer OS and using a PCIe SSD as primary/boot drive. 

the PCIe SSd is a OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2 240 GB 

Will I run into the same problem again with Win 7? Is there bios or firmware (not sure what that is) updates i need to do to make it work right? Thanks in Advance. 

Those do not like being used as boot drives. Not that it'll be slow or fail, but that Windows 7 has a hard time recognizing any drive that doesn't use SATA. You can Google "OCZ Revo boot drive" and come across a whole mess of people jumping through hoops to get it to work. 

There isn't much you can do. Make sure your board and the SSD are running the latest firmware/BIOS and hope for the best. 

Not saying it won't work (and sometimes does without issues), but you're going to have to jump through some hoops to make it happen.

previously i installed my Vista OS on the SSD, it was amazing in every way possible except i couldn't resume from s3 sleep, standby or hibernate, the computer turned on but mouse, keyboard and monitor did not respond. blank black screen. only way to turn off/restart was the reset button or unplugging it.  

technonymous is right.

That's been an issue with custom built PCs and lower power states for awhile that use more boutique parts like the PCIe SSDs. More so with the Haswell generation and newer (Intel has been really selling the power efficient thing lately), but always has been a problem. Is part of why you see a lot of custom builders disable C states as soon as they reach post on a new build. 

Edited by SEANIA, 21 June 2016 - 01:00 PM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:11 AM

I wonder if Windows 10 would have the same issues with booting from PCI-E.  It is a newer OS, so maybe it would work?  There may also be motherboard considerations with booting as well.

3939.png

#5 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:33 AM

I wonder if Windows 10 would have the same issues with booting from PCI-E.  It is a newer OS, so maybe it would work?  There may also be motherboard considerations with booting as well.

It still has problems, but is a lot better from what I've heard. It is mostly a board problem though. Like how there is a list of tested RAM modules. There is also a list of tested M.2 drives using PCIe lanes that are usable, and *occasionally* straight PCIe SSD support lists as well. It not very common though since the only two real drive lines made of it are that by Intel and OCZ. OCZ only because they were the ones to introduce the concept into the market with the original RevoDrive.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users