Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Envy Touchsmart Not Recognizin​g Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Chum3X

Chum3X

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:55 AM

Hello Bleeps,

I have an HP Envy Touchsmart laptop model M7-J178CA and it works fine in stock form.

I installed a brand new Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD using the correct adapter kit Part number: 720237-001 Part description: HDD Hardware Kit

1) Windows disk management does not recognize the SSD, nor does the latest version of Samsung Magician.

2) I ordered a USB to SATA adapter (not here yet!) but I would have thought I could enable the SSD from the HDD Hardware Kit SATA cable / connector? I do know there can be problems enabling an SSD via an external HD USB case, so I did not try that.

3) I want to clone the Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD to the original HP 1TB hybrid drive, is it true you can't clone the Windows drive while in use?

4) I have a bunch of other PC's (some with Acronis True Image) and some external HD USB cases.  Can I clone the Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD to the original HP 1TB hybrid drive, by putting the SSD in one external HD USB case and the original HP 1TB hybrid drive in another external HD USB case and use Acronis True Image?

5) Can Samsung Magician clone boot drives while the Windows drive while in use?

Edited by Chum3X, 20 June 2016 - 08:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 20 June 2016 - 11:12 AM

First, flip which bay each of the drives is in and go into setup (F10 with HP logo displayed)
If the 840 still doesn't appear, it is bad.
If the 840 appears; but, the original drive disappears, its the longer cable or the connector on the system board.
If both appear, the 840 must not have had a good connection.

I always clone using a desktop PC setup for multiple drive's; but, would expect it to fail if you've booted from one of them because there will be files open.

And no, you need to use Samsung Data Migration to clone to the SSD and the manual is in the folder with the program.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 Chum3X

Chum3X
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2016 - 12:15 PM

Thank you kindly DavisMcCarn, I do have a desktop PC and I could try everything there, but it's running Windows XP with an Asus P5K mobo (which I think it has SATA?).

Would the Samsung software function on this old machine, and would the mobo support the connections needed for the Samsung SSD?

I've been meaning to upgrade the OS to Windows 7 or 10 on my old desktop, and I have the official legal IOS disk images supplied by my work. I burned the Windows 7 IOS to disk but during the install I got an error.  I can't recall what the error said, but it was a common error according to Google.  I'll report the error back to you this evening as it would make sense to do everything from my old desktop as you suggested.

Edited by Chum3X, 20 June 2016 - 12:36 PM.

#4 Chum3X

Chum3X
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 04:11 PM

Sorry for the delay and I do hope you're still around, or someone is still around!

My laptop does not have a SATA port that I can connect directly to, so I must use the adapter kit.  Strangely no hard drives of any kind show in the BIOS, not even to existing boot hard drive shows in the BIOS!  I am sure I am in the BIOS and I have checked everywhere in the BIOS menu.

Edited by Chum3X, 22 June 2016 - 04:17 PM.

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 04:36 PM

According to the service manual which is in the User Guides section of this ( http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-m7-Notebook-PC-series/5401178/model/6842276/product-info ), your laptop has two drive bays and I assumed you had bought the mounting kit to put the SSD in the second one.
What I suggested was that you switch the two drives by unplugging the cable from the back end of both drives and physically moving them (plugging the cables back into each drive)
If you did that and the system still boots to Windows, there is something wrong with the SSD. If it says boot device not found, something is wrong with the cable for the second drive, how its seated, or with the connector for it on the laptop's system board. (and there are pictures in the service manual)
There is; however, somewhere in the BIOS, an option to choose what to boot from or a listing of what is detected.

Edited by DavisMcCarn, 22 June 2016 - 04:37 PM.

#6 Chum3X

Chum3X
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:59 PM

Thank you for your kindness DavisMcCarn!

With my HP laptop, the OEM hybrid HD works fine with SATA port #1 / cable #1.

With my HP laptop, the OEM hybrid HD works fine with SATA port #2 / cable #2.

Therefore, there is nothing wrong with either of the laptop SATA cables, and there is nothing wrong with either of the laptop SATA ports.

The Samsung SSD works fine in my SATA equipped desktop PC.

Therefore there is nothing wrong with the Samsung SSD.

However with my HP laptop: OEM hybrid HD in SATA port #1 / cable #1, the Samsung SSD is not recognized with SATA port #2 / cable #2.

This makes no sense to me, how 'bout you my friend?

#7 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:14 AM

There is a BIOS, version F.66 Rev.A, dated November 2015 and I think you should try it to see if it fixes things. ( http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp73001-73500/sp73289.exe )

BTW, lots of folks were b*tching about the same problem and the drive will appear in the OS Boot Manager entry of the BIOS if it is detected.

#8 Chum3X

Chum3X
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:26 AM

Now that's interesting and had not occurred to me!

I recently started a thread, pretty much the mirror of this thread, on the HP Support Forums, but received zero responses, why I don’t have a clue. When I bought my HP laptop about two years ago, I posted a thread on the HP Support Forums on how best to enable multiple hard-drives, which SSD adapter kit to get, etc. and I got great responses, but I never got around to installing the SSD’s until now (too busy with other stuff).

The reason I recently started a similar post on Bleeping Computers is because I received zero responses on the HP Support Forums, therefore I am truly appreciative of your input!

Here is the link to the thread I recently started on the HP Support Forums (probably not any use now though)

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Envy-Touchsmart-Not-Recognizing-Samsung-840-EVO-1TB-SSD/m-p/5661642#M345403

Everything would have been so much simpler if someone from the HP Support Forums had pointed out the possible BIOS issue on the thread I started recently and/or my Googling had turned up folks b*tching about the BIOS. I’ll definitely consider updating the BIOS, but my only concern is my rule (that has served me well over the years) not to update the BIOS unless I can confirm there is a definitive problem. Could you post the link you found on the BIOS b*tching please and much thanks?

Edited by Chum3X, 23 June 2016 - 10:31 AM.

#9 Chum3X

Chum3X
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 02:47 PM

DavisMcCarn & friends of Bleeping, is there anyone able to response to my last post please? Most specifically, could you post the link to the HP BIOS b*tching?

Edited by Chum3X, 24 June 2016 - 02:50 PM.

#10 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 03:01 PM

Did you try the BIOS upgrade? (I think I would)

#11 Chum3X

Chum3X
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 03:31 PM

I’ll definitely consider updating the BIOS, but my only concern is my rule (that has served me well over the years) not to update the BIOS unless I can confirm there is a definitive problem. Could you post the link you found on the BIOS b*tching please and much thanks?

#12 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 05:55 AM

You have confirmed the problem and could completely prove it if you connected another regular hard drive and saw it be recognized.

But; here are several links:

https://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0&hl=en&gws_rd=ssl#complete=0&hl=en&q=hp+envy+m7+ssd+problem

#13 Chum3X

Chum3X
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 10:23 AM

I am much obliged DavisMcCarn,

Before I started this thread I did view the HP Support Forums thread titled “Adding Samsung 850 EVO M.2 SSD to HP Envy m7-n109dx” but it rambled on for many pages plus there wasn't one mention of my model M7-J178CA in that thread (via key-word search) so I ignored it, plus no one responded to my own HP Support Forums thread specific to my model M7-J178CA (wierd!).

I note that one of the last post states: “The issue is not necessarily the model, it is the mainboard/motherboard that our model has; which is the 80E6. I have not come across anyone that has a functioning M.2 port on an 80E6 motherboard, it seems like the m7-n109dx is the only model that has the 80E6 motherboard, but I cannot confirm that.”

So it looks like if I do not have the 80E6 motherboard I might be in luck, I’ll definitely take your advice and:

1) completely prove it by connecting another regular hard drive to see if it’s recognized

2) update the BIOS and see if the Samsung SSD is recognized

I'll let you know the results and if things do not work out, it may be that the last poster sums things up for me (sure hope not though, what a waste of money & time!):

"The BIOS is not set to utilize the M.2 port on the m7-n109dx, and unfortunately, not one of the BIOS's have had the fix included. I doubt that HP will ever enable the M.2 port for this machine. I have personally spoke with many escalated customer service personell, and their position is that the m7-n109dx does not have a SSD listed in the specifications; therefore, there is nothing they will do to "add" it."

Edited by Chum3X, 25 June 2016 - 10:29 AM.

#14 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 10:37 AM

BUt; you're also not trying to use the M.2 port.

#15 Chum3X

Chum3X
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 01:15 PM

Oh, I stand corrected and very much thanks! I thought the M.2 port was the very small hinged-port labeled "HHD2" which connects to a second HD via the HP adapter kit.  I see from photos the M.2 port is not that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users