Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

General Question: How do you feel about Cloud Computing?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jefferj54

jefferj54

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:55 AM

....It seems like more and more companies are going in the direction of Cloud Computing. I'm interested in knowing how you or your job feels about implementation, if your company has not already done so. If your company has, I'm just interested in hearing the rationale. Also, do you feel that the AWS certifications are worth pursuing. Thanks, joe.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 21 June 2016 - 06:04 PM.
Moved from 'Web browsing etc' to 'General chat'.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 johnmeehan

johnmeehan

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 03:17 PM

I refuse to entrust any of my data to the cloud.  I want to maintain full control of my files.  I would rather save encrypted data onto removable media that I can secure in a safe at night.

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:04 PM

Post #2
For private data you can still back it up to the cloud (though it's essential to keep a backup in your own hands as well incase something happens to the cloud service) just put it in an encrypted archive first then upload the encrypted archive file. This way you get the advantages of an off-site backup but because you encrypted the file yourself before upload you can be sure that if the cloud provider gets hacked or something then even if hackers get into your cloud account they still won't be able to read your private data (as long ofcourse as you don't use the same password to encrypt the file as the password you have for the online account). But always keep backups on-site as well, it's about having as many independent (this is why synced backups aren't such a good idea, better to backup manually) copies of data as possible, if one is lost the others should still be ok.

Edited by rp88, 22 June 2016 - 06:04 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 11:12 AM

When I can buy a 3 TB external hard drive for $80 or a 64 GB flash drive for $13, I think the cloud is something I would never ever want.  Why worry about very slow uploads, reliability, and security when you don't need to.  

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#5 FrostytheDragon

FrostytheDragon

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 01:36 PM

I'm waiting for the p2p Swarm. Decentralized, no big business telling me what I can and cannot do. Some security buffs might balk but it's on its way. http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/14/4330116/down-with-the-cloud-p2p-distributed-datacenter

The article is 3 years old. :whistle:

#6 jefferj54

jefferj54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:42 PM

Thank you gentlemen. I feel like most of you. As far as rp88's thoughts about backups, I hear ya (this should be obvious). I have heard such nightmare stories as Cloud hosts losing clients' data. I also agree with the fact that I want control of MY data, and not leaving my data in the hands of the the Cloud hosting companies. With the rise of cyber terror, I just don't think that by any stretch of the imagination or reality that any of this is wise. P.S.: Thanks "Frosty" for the p2p Swarm 4-1-1.   joe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users