Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error: A device attached to the system is not functioning

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 olago

olago

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:15 AM

Hello,
I got a new HP desktop computer with Windows 8.1 preinstalled. After setting up, I tried to copy a file from my android phone using a USB cable to my documents but I keep getting the error message "A device attached to the system is not functioning".
The devices connected with USB are just the keyboard and the mouse and I have tried removing them to know of the problem will stop but it didn't. I have also checked my device manager for flagged error but everything seems in place. I don't know what else to do.
I need help to resolve this.
Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:12 AM

Did you set MTP for the transfer protocol?

1. Unlock your device’s screen.
  2. With a USB cable, connect your device to your computer.
  3. Swipe down from the top of your device's screen to see your notifications.
  4. Tap the USB for... notification. Then tap Transfer files (MTP).
  5. A File Transfer window will open on your computer. Use it to drag and drop files, just like with other external devices and storage.
  6. When you're done, eject your device from Windows.
  7. Unplug the USB cable.

#3 olago

olago
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:26 AM

I set MTP transfer protocol. I did all that and I can access my SD card and phone memory from the computer including my files (plus the one I wanted to copy) but I keep getting the error message each time I want to copy (a device attached to the system is not functioning?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 20 June 2016 - 11:06 AM

Other than trying different USB ports have you tried the phone on another computer?

With the phone attached are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users