Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Booting Windows

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 merrickdav

merrickdav

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 20 June 2016 - 12:10 AM

HI I am trying to Dual boot Windows with Ubuntu on a new Laptop

I have gained access to the BIOS to change where Windows 10 boots from and created an iso image and put it on

both a USB Stick and a DVD and when the Laptop was restarted it continued to reboot from the Windows Boot Manager.

Any Suggestions?

Cheers Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 powernub

powernub

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 20 June 2016 - 11:11 AM

In the BIOS, make sure the boot order does not list HDD on top. So if the Ubuntu ISO is on a USB, make sure USB priority is #1, then DVD, then HDD. When you boot up, it should ask you "Press any key to boot from USB", then you go ahead and do that and follow instructions to install Ubuntu.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:49 AM

Although I don't know much about Linux, these articles seem to offer good advice:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/666631/how-can-i-dual-boot-windows-10-and-ubuntu-on-a-uefi-hp-notebook

http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2015/11/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-alongside.html

http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/dual-boot-ubuntu-15-04-14-10-and-windows-10-8-1-8-step-by-step-tutorial-with-screenshots

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 03:24 PM

If Changing the BIOS settings didn't work, try using RUFUS it works much better with linux when creating a bootable usb, And if that still does not help, try the F buttons (F9/ F12 for Acer: F12 for Dell)) and i HIGHLY recommend using different partitions for your linux and windows rather than installing along side of (i have 50 GB each for both my Linux and windows uses the rest) If prompted to install boot-loader.. YES definitely. Luckily Ubuntu is Debian based (one of the easiest to figure out so it will use the simple GRUB boot-loader.

I currently have 3 Os's on my laptop, 2 linux 1 NT based and i have had ZERO issues with switching between them. if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

EDIT: It's Best to do a SHRINK VOLUME inside of windows then format the new partition you just made (fat32) then stick the usb and try from step one, the linux should see that space you created as unused and be able to install to it no problem( you MAY need 1-3 GB SWAP space)

-ViperSec.

Edited by Viper_Security, 21 June 2016 - 03:38 PM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#5 merrickdav

merrickdav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:24 PM

Thanks guys I think I found a solution I will let you know if it works. My version of Windows 10 wasn't the latest and didn't come with Ubuntu on it. 

I rather have the ability to install it in a separate partition anyway. I think Linux Mint is a better option anyway.

Cheers Dave

#6 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:46 PM

Thanks guys I think I found a solution I will let you know if it works. My version of Windows 10 wasn't the latest and didn't come with Ubuntu on it. 

I rather have the ability to install it in a separate partition anyway. I think Linux Mint is a better option anyway.

Cheers Dave

No Worries! that is the best option, im running Parrot LinuxMint 17.3, and windows 10

Try to get 17.3+ because 17 cinnamon is NOT stable. you'll love it :).

hQBT2G3.png

#7 merrickdav

merrickdav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:07 PM

Just need to get my new Laptop load from the iso image.

#8 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:13 PM

Just need to get my new Laptop load from the iso image.

i use either rufus or power iso to write the flashy never had an issue with either of those programs., and have ya tried the F buttons to boot to "removable device"? i.e F9 F12, sometimes they get tricky and make it F10 or F11, your BIOS should tell you.

Edited by Viper_Security, 21 June 2016 - 07:19 PM.

hQBT2G3.png

#9 merrickdav

merrickdav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:15 PM

Burning it on DVD if that does n't work I will try Rufus

Cheers Dave

#10 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:19 PM

Best of luck!

-ViperSec

hQBT2G3.png

#11 merrickdav

merrickdav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:30 PM

Thanks

#12 merrickdav

merrickdav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:08 AM

I'm running this

Version 1511

OS Build 15086.420

Rufus and usb iso was a no go. There's something stopping the laptop booting from either DVD OR USB. I changed all the UFIE (BIOS) settings I can think off.

Changed them to boot from DVD,HDD then Windows boot still nothing

Changed them to boot from all USB then Windows boot

The Linux iso was obtained from a trusted mirror, University of Canterbury in New Zealand

I'm obtain to suggestions

#13 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:19 PM

I'm running this

Version 1511

OS Build 15086.420

Rufus and usb iso was a no go. There's something stopping the laptop booting from either DVD OR USB. I changed all the UFIE (BIOS) settings I can think off.

Changed them to boot from DVD,HDD then Windows boot still nothing

Changed them to boot from all USB then Windows boot

The Linux iso was obtained from a trusted mirror, University of Canterbury in New Zealand

I'm obtain to suggestions

Could you elaborate on this "I changed all the UFIE (BIOS)" once you did that did you turn legacy on or secure boot off??

and what model is you machine??

hQBT2G3.png

#14 powernub

powernub

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:23 PM

Which motherboard do you have?

#15 merrickdav

merrickdav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 04:16 PM

Hi 

My Laptop model is Acer Aspire F5-572G

Processor is Intel® Core™ i5-6200U- CPU @ 2.30 GHz 2.4 GHz

I have found how to toggle between Legacy and UEFI. What does Legacy do?

At this stage can't turn Secure Boot Off

When trying to boot from USB the boot order was all USB,HDD  then Windows Boot Manager

When trying to boot from DVD the boot order was all DVD, HDD  then Windows Boot Manager

Edited by merrickdav, 22 June 2016 - 07:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users