Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Access Denied On A 2ndary Hdd

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 salshroom

salshroom

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:01 PM

I'm working on a friends laptop. Her hard drive is dieing, so i put it as a slave on my personal computer. Im trying to access her desktop folder located at D:\Documents and Settings\Danielle\Desktop. Problem is when i try to access this folder i get an error. Access Denied. She has a password on her account and probaly made the folders and files private. She has a thing called briefcase on her desktop which has all of her resume and thesis papers which she can not affor to lose. There is no setting i can find to remove the protection on it. I searched the computer for briefcase and nothing was found. I put the hard drive back in her computer and it wouldnt boot into windows. and i tried to use a password removal program that is a P.E. bootable CD to remove account PWs but unfortuneately that also did not work. Anything anyone can suggest would be great. thanks ahead of time. salshroom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:19 PM

Try this and see if it works

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=308421

One other thing the adapter you used for the laptop hard drive to the IDE cable are you sure you have the drive selector jumper set right?

#3 acidburned

acidburned

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:07 PM

you could always try a linux live cd like knoppix to retrieve the files.

#4 salshroom

salshroom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:34 PM

Try this and see if it works

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=308421

One other thing the adapter you used for the laptop hard drive to the IDE cable are you sure you have the drive selector jumper set right?

Unfortunately I don't have the ability to take ownership of this file at all. I knew to try it but to no avail. Also I'm using my computer and my HDD and hooking up hers to my secondary IDE channel. To do this I'm using a 2.5" to 3.5" laptop to desktop ide converter. This is used only to get the drive hooked to my machine.

Acidburned, that idea seems it might work. Although i have never used anything really linux related. Is it easy to use? Before I've used Winternals ERD Commander. Bart PE i could never understand. Same with Ultimate Boot CD.

Is there a place i could download this Knoppix software, and is it free? and most importantly is it easy to use or learn? <haha>

Beyond that does anyone have any other ideas? thx again in advance . salshroom

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:51 PM

Knoppix is free. It boots into memory, not using the hard disk. Sometimes, it just can't work with the hardware. Sometimes it does. Moving files is the same as in Windows. You may have to get used to different conventions, such as hard drive naming and moving through the filesystem. But it shouldn't be that hard. You need software to burn the ISO to a CD and then set the computer's BIOS to boot from the CD. I've had pretty good luck with UBCD moving files to a thumb drive. I've had problems with Knoppix running fine but not working with any other drives. You should be able to download the ISO here.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:53 PM

Did you try adding a duplicate of her account to your computer with her password?

#7 salshroom

salshroom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:58 AM

Enthusiast - No i never thought of doing that only because I'm not quite sure of what benefit that would do for me. Could you possibly give some information upon in?

Herk - Sounds like i might still want to learn more before messing with Knoppix.

Also problem resolved i messed around with a PE CD and oddly enough i was able to view the desktop folder w/o an issue of access denied.

THanks again for your help and guidance.

#8 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 04:30 PM

ThorXP is right.

I once had the same trouble with my old hard drive. It was password protected and I got past that, but it was on the secondary IDE and it didnt wanna work for me. So what I had to do is overwrite the Security permissions in XP. I did this by going to Administrator and right clicking on the folder I wanted to overwrite and there was a tab called 'Security', then I did some checking. Its easy. here it is:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...421&sd=tech

Folder:

To take ownership of a folder, follow these steps:
1. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
4. In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
5. Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:
You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?

All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.
Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.
6. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

File:

How to take ownership of a file
Note You must be logged on to the computer with an account that has administrative credentials.

To take ownership of a file, follow these steps:
1. Right-click the file that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
4. In the Name list, click Administrator, or click the Administrators group, and then click OK.

The administrator or the Administrators group now owns the file. To change the permissions on the files and folders under this folder, go to step 5.
5. Click Add.
6. In the Enter the object names to select (examples) list, type the user or group account that you want to give access to the file. For example, type Administrator.
7. Click OK.
8. In the Group or user names list, click the account that you want, and then select the check boxes of the permissions that you want to assign that user.
9. When you are finished assigning permissions, click OK.

That should help.

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:13 PM

and there was a tab called 'Security'

You will see this tab in XP Pro. But if you are using Home you must be in Safe Mode to see it.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users