Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished Win 7 Desktop Locked-Up

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 bearspencer

bearspencer

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 06:52 PM

My aunt called with suspected malware infection on her laptop. Since she has only used IE, I decided to download a scanner on my pc in order to send step by step instructions.

Googled Panda Cloud and got results back for Anti-virus and Cleaner.  I picked Cloud Cleaner, skipped the ads and selected the one (I believe) with this URL:

http://pandacloudcleaner.pandasecurity.com/facebook/

I downloaded the payload, hit install or run (don’t remember which one) and it installed without further ado.  And locked up my desktop completely.

IE opened a New Tab without a URL that read about:blank. I waited 5 minutes and then tried to use the mouse to close the tab.  Mouse pointer wouldn’t move.  Nor would any key on the board work, including CTRL ALT DEL.

I used a neighbor’s laptop and went to Panda’s official FB page to confirm I had downloaded a legitimate copy of their software.  Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a D/L for their cleaner there. I don’t know (though strongly suspect) I installed something vicious in my box.

What should my next steps be? 

Additional info:

Desktop:

Windows 7 Home 64 with a quad core processor (don’t remember which one).

RAM is 12 GB

All important Windows & MS Office 2010 updates are installed as of 06/17/2016

Latest updates Chrome

MS Security Essentials

The OS and all program files are installed on the SSD C: drive (bought it used)

I’ve put most of my data on the D: hard drive.

Used less than 30% of the storage on either.

Windows Open at time of Lock-Up

1 IE with 4 tabs

7 Chrome with 3-4 tabs each

4 MS Word 2010 docs

User:

I’m somewhat computer literate, but have never used, much less created a bootable CD/DVD repair disk. But with the right instructions, I believe that I could.  I had planned to burn a recover disk, but “round 2 it” hadn’t yet happened.

My first inclination is to turn off the box using the power switch. But since it looks like I’ve already been stupid once today, I figured I’d ask first: just in case.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users