Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Days Searching for the Answer to a Simple Question: Ideport1=Which Disk?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SciPhi

SciPhi

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 03:49 PM

At least it should be a simple question. Perhaps Google has failed me, but I cannot seem to find out a simple way to simply determine which physical drive corresponds to which Ideport.

I, like many before me, am getting Error 11 events:

"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1."

OK. Now what device is on Ideport1? Amazingly, I can find no simple way to tell. I've read hours of people asking this question and not getting any answers.

Please, I beg of you. If knou know a way, please share it.

Edited by SciPhi, 19 June 2016 - 03:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 04:18 PM

the easiest way is to look inside the computer itself and see which device is plugged into the ide port 1

you could look into device manager (click start, click control panel, click view by small icons,click device manager,go to (disk and harddrives)drives, right click on each drive select properties to see which driver properties show ideport1

#3 SciPhi

SciPhi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 04:31 PM

Thank you TheTripleDeuce, I will give it a go.

Edit: OK, first of all, I don't have an Ideport on my computer, per say. I've got 5 SATA ports. This is always part of my confusion. I thought Ide Ports were for floppies and CD drives. My Mobo doesn't even have those now.

Additionally, my Intel mobo doesn't even list any port number for the Serial ATAs. It just color codes which ones are 6 or 3 Gb/s. And of course, having to open the case doesn't really seem necessary if I can just go into Device Manager.

Unforttunately, however, I don't see any mention of ideport1 in Device Manager. Looking at the Properties for my Samsung SSD system drive, I see this:

Location 0 (Channel 1, Target 0, Lun 0)

And if I go into details, under the property Physical Device Property name, I see this:

\Device\Ide\IdeDeviceP1T0L0-1

Do these cryptic #'s answer my question? I had already seen quite a few people suggest this is so, but no confirmation.

Edited by SciPhi, 19 June 2016 - 04:51 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 05:25 PM

Try a new SATA cable. If one is not available see if changing to a different SATA port helps.

Edit: If you have not done this before then pull the power plug and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Touch some bare metal of the case before changing the cable or port.

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 June 2016 - 05:26 PM.

#5 SciPhi

SciPhi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 08:42 PM

Thanks JohnC, but the topic of this thread is how to correlate a specific Ideport to a specific physical disk without having to open the computer case. I have actually already solved the Error 11 issue and it was, indeed, a bad connection.

But this is not the first time that this issue has reared it's ugly head and I just can't believe it's impossible to provide a straightford, coherent methodology for determining the specific device connected to a specific ideport without having to open up the case.

I have read literally 50 threads where someone has asked this question. And in every single one, the thread has been hijacked by people changing the subject or flooded with "solutions" that are illiterately, incoherently illegibly written by people who have no idea what they're talking about.

Bleeping Computer has always been the gold standard so I am hoping that here, the question can be answered.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:55 AM

I have also googled and could not find the definitive answer to your question. Your post #3 is about the closest. You could change ports and then check your properties making a note of the number. 

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:22 AM

IMO...confusion results from the fact that SATA controllers can run in IDE mode and any hard drive error will be reflected as if is an IDE connection the way that Windows reports errors.  I don't ever recall seeing a controller error reflecting a "SATA" connection when reviewing Event Viewer..

SATA controllers seem to support 3 modes:  AHCI, RAID, and IDE...seems that IDE is the default unless you employ AHCI or RAID.

So it seems that when a hard drive error is reported, it generally will be reported with the SATA controller running in IDE mode, hence the reference.

As for determining which port a given drive is on...I've not found an easy way other than to just look at the motherboard connections...or trial-and-error.  Need to remember that ports  start with 0, not 1, on the motherboards I am familiar with.

I could be wrong in my interpretation :).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 June 2016 - 07:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users