Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Expert Help Needed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 as311

as311

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:42 PM

I just recently installed a new mobo and CPU after my old mobo died on me. Thats slightly irrelevent, but I'll continue. Everything was working fine until yesterday, when I started it up and it froze while booting up. I reset the computer and it started up fine. Today, the problem continued, but to a higher degree. I started the computer up, and it did the same thing: it froze right after displaying the mobo and CPU spec in BIOS, and right before reading the IDE drives. I waited for a good minute and tried to restart several times, each to no avail. I then tried resetting the BIOS memory, still the same thing. I tried one final time, with a little more patience, and noticed that while it seemed to be frozen, the CPU, or hard drive, was making that loading noise that computers make. So I waited, figuring it would finally start up.. and I was right. So, my questions are: why is this happening, how can I fix it, and should I just leave the computer running until I get it figured out? The latter I probably will do anyways. Specs are below. Thanks for any help.

System Specs:

Gigabyte K8Triton Athlon 64/FX Skt939 nForce3
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Skt939
Seagate 80gb HD (94.5% full)
Lite-On CD/DVD rom drives
1gb Kingston ValueRam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mooniniteman

mooniniteman

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:14 PM

can you get far enough to be able to do Safe mode?

#3 as311

as311
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:51 PM

It will start up and run Windows fine. It is just taking about 3 minutes to do so in BIOS. Should I run it in safe mode?

#4 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:43 PM

Does your MoBo have GigaRAID (the RAID function for you HDDs which comes with some boards)?
Often, during boot up if GigaRAID is enabled, the MoBo will search for compatible RAID Hard Disks, which may be why yours is taking so long...

If you are not using RAID, have a look in the BIOS for your GigaRAID setting (of course, that is if you have it) and set it to disabled....
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#5 as311

as311
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:09 PM

Yeah actually it does have this feature. I'll go into BIOS and check it out. If it's enabled I will disable it and see if that helps. That would be strange if that was the issue, seeing as how I've had the system set-up for over a month and its been starting up fine, but it's a possibility. Thanks.

#6 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:17 PM

Yeah I hear ya. However my system (for some unknown reason) reset the BIOS for me at one point after I did something relatively minor (can't remember what), and it actually reverted back to IDE as the primary drive (when mine is SATA) and the GigaRAID was enabled...it took about an hour to figure out what the settings were supposed to be..!
:thumbsup: good luck!
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users