Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Linux Mint 18 Ditches Gedit And Pluma For Xed

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Gedit vs Pluma vs Xed (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Which do you prefer?

1. Gedit (7 votes [87.50%])

Percentage of vote: 87.50%

2. Pluma (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Voted Xed (1 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 03:08 PM

DdCvs6D.png

Linux Mint 18 has Xed text editor installed by default instead of Gedit/Pluma. This should make a lot of former Gedit fans (those who didn't like the 3.x series UI changes) really happy if they are running Linux Mint Cinnamon (which previously shipped with Gedit).

Personally I don't hate the 3.x series Gedit UI, I certainly get why some people like it, but I majorly prefer the old 2.x series of Gedit, so Xed looks very appealing to me! Xed is a fork of Pluma which is a fork of Gedit 2.x. My understanding is that main difference between Pluma and Xed is that Xed is an X-App.

Related:
- https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_sarah_cinnamon_whatsnew.php
- http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2016/02/the-first-two-x-apps-are-ready/
- http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/01/gnome-gedit-text-editor-new-look

- http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3026

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:40 AM

I personally haven't used Xed or Pluma.  Vi/Gedit for me.  I'm curious to see how the poll goes.

#3 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 497 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:48 AM

You left off emacs and vi from a terminal window.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:10 AM

I've gotta confess (and will probably get pilloried for it), that 18 months or so ago, when I was running Ubuntu/Mint/the 'flavours', that my personal favourite was always Leafpad.....

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#5 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:47 PM

@KingDavidIIII

I personally haven't used Xed or Pluma.

-REF:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/617737/linux-mint-18-ditches-gedit-and-pluma-for-xed/#entry4026227

I haven't used either much. I used Pluma for several hours the other day, and like it way better than Gedit (3.x), but not as much as Gedit (2.x). I tried Xed briefly, and so far I like it better than Gedit (3.x) and Pluma, so I guess Xed is becoming my favorite, though I wouldn't say it's my final verdict.

@mremski

You left off emacs and vi from a terminal window.

-REF:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/617737/linux-mint-18-ditches-gedit-and-pluma-for-xed/#entry4026238

The poll wasn't meant to be a battle between all text editors, though we should definitely do that some time. I find those types of things to be helpful for finding new tools, or even features you didn't realize they had. Nano FTW!!! :P I was focusing more on the fact that the community is divided once again. Gedit's GUI changes have had a similar affect to the Gnome2 vs Gnome3 situation, resulting in Pluma, and now in response applications being made more environment specific we have Xed.

@Mike_Walsh

that my personal favourite was always Leafpad

-REF:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/617737/linux-mint-18-ditches-gedit-and-pluma-for-xed/#entry4026278

It's a nice light weight GUI text editor, perfect for taking notes, and the default on Lubuntu :). Though, I prefer using a heavier text editor when writing shell scripts, as some of the additional features they provide makes things easier.

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:43 PM

@hollowface:-

@Mike_Walsh

that my personal favourite was always Leafpad

-REF:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/617737/linux-mint-18-ditches-gedit-and-pluma-for-xed/#entry4026278

It's a nice light weight GUI text editor, perfect for taking notes, and the default on Lubuntu  :). Though, I prefer using a heavier text editor when writing shell scripts, as some of the additional features they provide makes things easier.

Oh, I agree with you there. As a purely text editor, Leafpad takes some beating (it's the default in Puppy, too.....emphasis on lightweight apps, of course).  For shell scripts, and the like, I usually switch over to Geany. Far more full-featured, with everything you need for scripting already built-in.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 22 June 2016 - 03:48 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#7 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:54 PM

I've gotta confess (and will probably get pilloried for it), that 18 months or so ago, when I was running Ubuntu/Mint/the 'flavours', that my personal favourite was always Leafpad.....

Agreed haha i love leafpad

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#8 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 497 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 04:35 PM

OP, sorry.   :devil:  Old school, don't know why anyone needs anything more than a terminal/console and "ed".  You guys/gals and your GUI editors, gees, may as well stick to Windows.   :hysterical:

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#9 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:44 AM

I use Leafpad in Puppy because it doesn't have Nano, but otherwise I tend to use Nano.

I have used Gedit but very rarely and don't recall having ever used Xed or Pluma, so can't express a preference, except for Nano. :)

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,418 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 02:30 AM

I've been using Vim for about 2 years now, mostly because I can't figure out how to exit it.

#11 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:50 PM

In Mint I've used Nano and Gedit for trivial stuff (i.e. playing around with Grub or the hosts file).  I believe Mate 16.04 has Pluma, but I haven't had to do anything with it yet.

Are any of the differences in question something for casual users to familiarize themselves with?  :scratchhead:  I don't see myself writing scripts or coding anytime soon, so my own needs aren't much presently.  Always interested in learning new stuff though.

Whatever it was...I didn't do it!

#12 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 01:34 AM

@66Batmobile

Are any of the differences in question something for casual users to familiarize themselves with?

-REF:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/617737/linux-mint-18-ditches-gedit-and-pluma-for-xed/#entry4027373

Pluma is a fork of Gedit, and Xed is a fork of Pluma, so they are all based off the same code, and as such have the same features (Gedit 3.x might be slightly different. I can't recall). The differences are visual or underlying. For casual users, the key thing to take away is, if you don't like Gedit 3.x's appearance, but did like Gedit 2.x's appearance, Xed and Pluma are viable alternatives.

#13 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 03:59 PM

Peppermint 7 just came out, and it too is replacing Gedit.

We’ve switched text editors from gedit to pluma
-REF:https://peppermintos.com/2016/06/peppermint-7-released/

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 26 June 2016 - 02:49 AM

+1! :thumbup2:

Same here! Among the first things I do when installing Linux Mint after first enabling the ufw Firewall & system updating new are adding gksu & Leafpad, along with a few others, with one Terminal line. 

sudo apt-get install synaptic dconf-tools gksu gdebi inxi leafpad catfish

It's as simple as that. :)

I respect that others has their own preferences. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2016 - 02:34 PM

What I had to do (or what I did) on a new install today was:

sudo apt-get install gedit

That's because many of the commands to copy/paste to setup a new Linux Mint install doesn't have 'Xed' in the line. There's literally tens of thousands of commands that would require a rewrite & that's not going to happen just because Linux Mint goes against the pack. And it's too inconvenient to have to adjust these as we go. Setting up an install takes enough time as it is (though nowhere near as long as a Windows one :P), we don't need to add another hour or longer editing Terminal code.

Glad this came up, because I have to add the line in the above post. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users