Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Basic Display Driver - stuck!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Stirupped

Stirupped

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 08:30 AM

Hi, my lenovo z570 laptop running Windows 10 is stuck on microsoft basic display driver. It has an NVIDIA GT520m graphics card which device manager says is working properly, but I cannot access its control panel ('you are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU').

In device manager there is 'another devices' under which 'Video Controller (VGA Compatible) is listed. When I click through it reads:

'The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

The directory name is invalid

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver'

On trying to update the driver I am unable to install drivers for intel HD graphics 3000 and receive the error message 'The directory name is invalid'

After extensive googling I still very am stuck. I have uninstalled and downloaded drivers and tried to install them manually, but to no avail.

Any help much appreciated!

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 20 June 2016 - 10:37 AM.
Merged with duplicate topic from Win 10

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,580 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 02:53 PM

Unfortunately the support page for this computer does not list any drivers for Windows 10. It's possible the dual graphics and Windows 10 are not compatible.

Can you successfully install this driver for the intel HD3000? I am not sure what the difference is between the two available downloads.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25176/Intel-HD-Graphics-Production-Driver-for-Windows-10-64-bit-N-Series-

Here is your Nvidia Driver. I would uninstall your Nvidia driver first if possible.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/103915/en-us

#3 Stirupped

Stirupped
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 03:41 PM

Hi, thanks for your suggestions. I updated to Win 10 around January 2016 and had no problems until a month ago when this problem began.

On trying to install the intel driver I receive:

this installation package is not supported by this processor type 

This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software.

Regarding the NVIDIA driver:

The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware

I uninstall the NVIDIA driver first like you said, and noticed this error message in the device manager dialog box:

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)
The driver trying to start is not the same as the driver for the POSTed display adapter.

Any ideas? Thanks again.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,580 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 03:52 PM

The only thing I can suggest is to try doing a System Restore to a date before the problem. If you added any files to the desktop after the date move them to Documents. Any programs installed after this date will need to be reinstalled. Because Windows 10 is classified as a Service any major update can cause the devices to no longer be supported. Is this a Windows 64bit install? The only reason I see the driver failing for the intel with that error is because the driver was 64bit and your install is 32bit.

Edit: The other reason for the failure is because the driver was listed for Windows 10 N but I am not sure why that would cause a processor error.

If there are not restore points then I think your only option would be to reinstall Windows 10 after backing up all your data.

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 June 2016 - 03:53 PM.

#5 Stirupped

Stirupped
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 04:21 PM

Yeah it's 64 bit.

I tried a system restore when it first happened and got some error message. There aren't any restore points old enough now but I tried anyway and got this, which I think is the same error message as previous:

System restore failed whilst copying the registry details from the restore point

An unspecified error occurred during system restore (0x80070570)

Does that mean anything? 

Only other concern is that it's a hardware failure which of course wouldn't be remedied by OS reinstall. Do you know of any way I could diagnose that?

Thanks.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,580 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 04:33 PM

The error code is a common one for Windows Restore

You can determine if it is a hardware problem by downloading a full linux distro like Mint or Ubuntu. For Mint download 17.2. 17.3 has had some issues.  For Ubuntu download 16.04 LTS

For Nvidia you may need to install the restricted drivers but the distros should pick up the intel card.

Burn the iso to DVD or you can use the iso file with Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive.

People migrating from Windows usually have an easier time with Mint. 

The distros are Live so you will not be installing them. Boot the DVD or flash drive and linux will run from the DVD/flash drive and RAM. This will at least let you know if the problem is hardware related. 

#7 Stirupped

Stirupped
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 04:45 PM

OK I'll try this tomorrow. Thanks for your assistance.

#8 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 786 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 04:45 PM

Hardware drivers are often manufacturer specific, especially since the PNP (Plug and Play) ID is often that of the manufacturer (not Intel or NVidia, etc.)

They are for Windows 8 as it is the latest version Lenovo supports; but, should work fine:

Intel driver: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-z-series-laptops/ideapad-z570/downloads/DS030865

NVidia: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-z-series-laptops/ideapad-z570/downloads/DS031235

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,547 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 05:20 PM

Looking at the specs for this laptop, it was built with either the Nvidia graphics or the Intel ones, not both.

It sounds like you have the Intel 3000 graphics installed. The simplest way to check is to open 'Device manager'. Windows key + X, RIGHT click on 'Computer' and select 'Manage'. In the window that then appears select 'Device manager'. Looking at this, run down it to 'Display adapters' and expand the entry, it will tell you what device you have installed and it will probably have either a red 'x' or a yellow '!' against it. This link appears to be the link to the Intel drivers you need -

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25176/Intel-HD-Graphics-Production-Driver-for-Windows-10-64-bit-N-Series-

but read the information included on the page before you download them ! 

There appear to be two files listed for download, I don't know which you need or if you need both, One is an .EXE file, the other a .ZIP .  I would create a temporary folder and save both these files into it. The .EXE file will just run - double click on it in Windows Explorer (I believe it is now called 'File explorer') and it will run and install your drivers. The .ZIP file will need to be unpacked before you can use it - use WinZip, WinRar, 7-Zip or whatever you have to unpack it - then just double click on the .EXE file or Setup.EXE, whichever it contains to install the drivers.

One discouraging note. While googling for the drivers I came across a mention somewhere that Win 10 compatible drivers don't exist, but that may have been a dated comment.

Chris Cosgrove

#10 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 786 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2016 - 11:41 AM

Chris,
His CPU has the HD3000 built-in and the laptop has an optional GT520M discrete video as an option. Its almost undoubtedly using hybrid graphics where the PC uses the 3000 unless it detects a need for higher GPU demands and then it switches to the GT520M.
That's why I told him to use the Lenovo drivers I posted. Both probably have Lenovo specific hardware ID's and they need to have the switching functions included.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#11 Stirupped

Stirupped
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2016 - 12:16 PM

Hi, today I reinstalled windows 10 opting to keep my files intact. This has apparently fixed the issue.

Thanks for all your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users