Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System will not boot to desktop

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Markgee

Markgee

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 11:05 AM

I recently encountered a problem on my desktop HP Pavilion PC. I am getting a blue screen that flashes on my screen for like 3 sec and it repeats itself continiously. The message reads "Your PC ran into a problem.We're just collecting some error info and then we will restart you. It will not allow me to my desktop. I need some help on this issue. Thank you kindly!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 01:51 PM

Boot from an install disc or repair disc and do a repair.  

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 20 June 2016 - 09:15 AM

@Niweg

Windows 8 and 8.1 have the System Recovery partition, it does not come with a installation disc.  There is a Windows 8.1 ISO download which can be used to create a installation disc.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 pcblues

pcblues

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:12 AM

Hi dc3

It seems the poster is new here , would you please , post some detailed steps / links about restoring the system. Thank you !

#5 Markgee

Markgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 04:11 AM

TY. I need steps on bringing my system back up without losing all the my data on the hard drive. Please help me with this issue. Right now I cannot even get my system to boot to its desktop. I am running Windows 8.1

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:06 AM

Do you have Windows 8 or 8.1 installed?

Microsoft provides a means of downloading a Windows 8.1 ISO image which can be used to create media which can be use with a flash drive or a DVD disc.  Unfortunately Microsoft does not offer a download for Windows 8.

If you have Windows 8.1, let me know and I will post post a link for the download and instructions for creating the installation media (flash drive or disc).

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Markgee

Markgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:38 AM

TYSM ! I was using Windows 8.1 prior to this issue. I hope I can get this computer back up and running without losing all of my data on the hard drive. Have you ever had this problem before on your PC? What do you think caused this problem?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:56 PM

Edit:  Does this computer have a DVD burner?

The link below will take you to the Microsoft website where you can download the Windows 8.1 ISO file.  Click ot tap on the link.

Once the instructions are viewable read through the instruction, then click/tap on the Create media  button.  This will start the process to create the installation media.  Follow the instructions.

If you are using a Windows 7, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10 to create the installation disc, use the instructions below to burn the ISO file to a DVD to create the installation disc.

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.  

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

If you have any questions I will be glad to provide you with answers.

Edited by dc3, 21 June 2016 - 12:57 PM.

#9 Markgee

Markgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:43 PM

I have created in installation media CD for Windows 8.1 It said that I need a product key # before installing? How do I get a product key #

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:29 PM

You do not want to install Windows 8.1 as all your data will be gone. Use the install disk to do a repair, either using System Restore or Startup Repair. Try Startup Repair(may be called Automatic Repair) first. It may take 3 attempts before the repair completes. 

See the section on doing a repair using the installation disk.

https://www.winhelp.us/repair-your-computer-in-windows-8.html

w8recovery04.jpg

Edit: If you placed any files on the desktop after the Restore Date they will be gone so be careful on picking a System Restore Date. You can always pull your data using a linux recovery disk and an external drive so if the drive is okay your data is still intact.

Edit Edit: Did this computer come with Windows 8 preinstalled?

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 June 2016 - 07:32 PM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:28 AM

@JohnC_21

The purpose for creating the installation disc was to run a Repair Installation.  I intended to provide instructions for this after the installation disc had been successfully created.  Running the Windows 8.1 for a repair installation should not be a problem since the current version being used is the 8.1, the same as the installation disc.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:41 AM

@JohnC_21

The purpose for creating the installation disc was to run a Repair Installation.  I intended to provide instructions for this after the installation disc had been successfully created.  Running the Windows 8.1 for a repair installation should not be a problem since the current version being used is the 8.1, the same as the installation disc.

Hello dc3,

I didn't want to jump in but the OP said he was going to install the OS but did not have the key. I now understand you wanted to do a repair install instead of a repair. Sorry.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:48 AM

Not a problem JohnC_21, I should have posted my intentions.  I wasn't sure of Markgee's level of computer literacy, so I was taking this one step at a time.  

The tutorial which you provided the link to is the same one I suggest when I request that a repair installation be run. :thumbup2:

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:05 AM

I have created in installation media CD for Windows 8.1 It said that I need a product key # before installing? How do I get a product key #

You will not be doing a installation, you will be doing a repair installation which does not require the product code.  For the record, the product code for Windows 8/8.1 is embedded in the BIOS.  You would need software to retrieve it.

When you go to the website that the link JohnC_21 provided scroll down to Booting to Recovery Environment with Windows 8/8.1 installation media or Recovery Drive/System Repair Disc and follow the instructions there.  This will take you to the System Recovery Options, you will wan to select and run the Startup Repair.

In order to boot from the installation disc you may need to enter the BIOS and change the boot order so that the DVD/CD drive is the first device in the boot order and the HDD/SDD the second device.  Please post the model of your HP Pavilion and I will provide you with the F key you will need to boot into the BIOS.  The BIOS is completely separate from the operating system, this means that you will be booting from the BIOS, not Windows.  I will also provide you with directions for changing the boot order.

#15 Markgee

Markgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:26 AM

i just completed the Startup Repair. It responded by saying Startup repair couldn't repair your pc. Press advanced options to try other options to repair your PC. I am using an HP Pavilion 500PC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users