Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Don't need to eject an expansion drive?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 WouldBePolymath

WouldBePolymath

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 11:03 AM

I bought a Seagate Expansion 5TB USB 3.0 3.5" Desktop External Hard Drive.

Not that it's really relevant to explain that other than to illustrate how important it is that I don't blow the thing up, but I bought it to create a disk image in Macrium Reflect Home Edition v6 (which I did), in preparation for upgrading from Win7 to Win10, just in case things go very badly when I do that.

But I notice that when it's plugged in and I right-click on it in Windows Explorer, no "Eject" option appears in the drop-down menu.

So I just unplugged it.

Is "Eject" just not appearing because an expansion drive is made in such a way that no preparation is needed before safely unplugging it?

Or am I risking data loss or worse by unplugging it without preparation?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 11:09 AM

Down in your tray near the clock should be a "Safely Remove Hardware" button, clicking it should give a list of items you want to unplug from your system. Once hit to unplug/disconnect an item, the notice of "It is now safe to unplug {nameofitem} from your computer" will appear allowing you to safely unplug the drive

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

#3 WouldBePolymath

WouldBePolymath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 02:51 PM

Thank you!  (problem solved)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users