Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Few Questions Regarding Windows Settings

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Scottintexas

Scottintexas

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 09:27 AM

There are a few things I cannot seem to find on my computer. That is, certain settings.

1. I don't want to log in on my computer. When I start it I just want it to boot to the Start Screen. I don't know how that changed, but one day I started my computer and it required a login using my email address and password. I did download Visual Studio 2013, but I used that for a while before it started asking me to log in. I don't know where to tell it not to ask.

2. Leads from #1. I am the owner and only user of this computer, but I am getting tired of it telling me I don't have access to certain folders. I have made several attempts to change the access etc. It tells me to contact the administrator. Well I AM the administrator and I don't know what to do.

3. When windows starts up I want the Windows 10 screen with the tiles as my default screen. It is currently starting up to the Windows 7 look with the icons all over the desktop. I looked up this particular problem and the solution is to go into the properties on the tool bar, select the Start Screen Tab...oh wait, there is no Start Screen Tab! I can click on the Start Menu icon (the four windows button) and my screen goes to the Tiles View. How do I set that as start screen? I asked Cortana, she whirled the little circle for a few minutes then just quit. Really, she just quit!

My other issues require separate threads. So I'll leave this here and hope that someone is a Windows 10 guru that can lead me in the right direction. BTW "Windows 10 Revealed", by Kinnary Janga, 2015, is an OK book for a "Heres some stuff about Windows 10" but it doesn't get into any of the real settings.

Thanks

I forgot Computer Details

Toshiba Satellite, AMD Processor, Windows 10 Pro, 8 Gb RAM

Edited by Scottintexas, 19 June 2016 - 09:30 AM.

Still searching for the "Read My Mind and Do It" button.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 09:53 AM

There are a few things I cannot seem to find on my computer. That is, certain settings.

1. I don't want to log in on my computer. When I start it I just want it to boot to the Start Screen. I don't know how that changed, but one day I started my computer and it required a login using my email address and password. I did download Visual Studio 2013, but I used that for a while before it started asking me to log in. I don't know where to tell it not to ask.

2. Leads from #1. I am the owner and only user of this computer, but I am getting tired of it telling me I don't have access to certain folders. I have made several attempts to change the access etc. It tells me to contact the administrator. Well I AM the administrator and I don't know what to do.

3. When windows starts up I want the Windows 10 screen with the tiles as my default screen. It is currently starting up to the Windows 7 look with the icons all over the desktop. I looked up this particular problem and the solution is to go into the properties on the tool bar, select the Start Screen Tab...oh wait, there is no Start Screen Tab! I can click on the Start Menu icon (the four windows button) and my screen goes to the Tiles View. How do I set that as start screen? I asked Cortana, she whirled the little circle for a few minutes then just quit. Really, she just quit!

My other issues require separate threads. So I'll leave this here and hope that someone is a Windows 10 guru that can lead me in the right direction. BTW "Windows 10 Revealed", by Kinnary Janga, 2015, is an OK book for a "Heres some stuff about Windows 10" but it doesn't get into any of the real settings.

Thanks

I forgot Computer Details

Toshiba Satellite, AMD Processor, Windows 10 Pro, 8 Gb RAM

Answer 1:

Note: Anybody who turns the computer on can get into the desktop screen directly if there is only one account on the computer.  If there is more than one then they can get access to the desktop by selecting any account that has password login turned off.

Please follow the below steps to skip the password entry screen for a specific account:

1.        Open the Run Command box by simultaneously pressing Windows Key and R keys (Windows Key+R). In the Run dialog box, type Netplwiz and then press Enter key.

OR  Open a Command Prompt window and enter the command:  control userpasswords2 and hit Enter.

2.        You will be presented with the User Accounts dialog, select the user account for which you wish to turn off password login and then uncheck the checkbox labeled Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.

3.      Click Apply button to see Automatically sign in box.

4.       On the "Automatically sign in box" confirm your credentials and then click OK. Restart the computer and check.

Steps 3 and 4 are critical.  If you omit them you will not have the password login turned off and everything will remain as it had been.

Answer 2:

I cannot imagine you weren't getting this under Windows 8.1, as it's a standard feature of the default setting of User Account Control.  You can either go into the Windows 10 Settings and search on User Account Control or use Control Panel, Security and Maintenance and tweak your UAC settings down.  I would not set them down any lower than is absolutely necessary.  While the warnings can be annoying, they can also warn you that you're about to do something that you may not have intended to do.  They've saved me from oops-es enough that I keep my UAC settings at the default, which is one level below the most stringent.  I'd only move down one level first to see if that satisfies your needs before going to "Never Notify"/Full Off mode.

Answer 3:

To my knowledge (and relief, I must say) the Metro Screen has died the death it so justly deserves as far as being the default presentation.  It is a simple matter to click the start button at the lower left to get the start menu to come up, which is now a marriage between the old Start Menu and the Metro Screen.  You can expand the amount of space the new Start Menu takes up on your computer such that it is either large enough to show all of the tiles you have selected or takes up the whole screen with scrolling available if you have more tiles than will fit.

That being said, see the results of this DuckDuckGo search on, "Metro Screen Windows 10" for many "how tos" on how to bring it back as your default presentation.  I had no idea one could and was so glad to see the Metro Screen go I could not express my happiness about that development.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 Scottintexas

Scottintexas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 10:35 AM

Thank you very much for your promp reply. As soon as my super slow computer is finish d thinking about restarting, I'll apply the changes. As far as the metro screen. I have it set with three small groups. It is easier for me to see and click once to launch a program. Of course, I can do that from the task bar as well. I tend to put things on my desk top that I will be using in a short time so it is easier to find them. For example, if I am going to send someone a screen shot of something, I just save it to the desktop, send it and the. Drag it to the trash when I don't need it. But that does clutter up the desk top. I will admit, the tiles that are constantly rotating images (photos) get a little annoying. The metro look is a closer association to my iPad and iPhone. So I am used to just looking at the screen and picking my app. I'll have to mess with it a while before I make a final decision. I am interested in why you are so happy to see it go.

Thanks again.
Still searching for the "Read My Mind and Do It" button.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 June 2016 - 10:36 AM

For when you are told you don't have access to certain folders, there is something you can try.

There is a registry hack which will allow you to take ownership. I've been using it for several years on various Windows 7 systems and now on Windows 10, although what I wanted to take ownership of has always simply said Access denied and I never was told to contact the administrator. Up to you whether to try it or not.

Details and download are here http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/ (while it has Vista in the URL it does work with Windows 10)

Download, unzip, then install.

Take ownership will be added to the right click context menu.

When chosen, the cmd will pop up and run. Depending on the folder it may take a while.

There are a few folders that will not allow access after taking ownership.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 10:49 AM

The metro look is a closer association to my iPad and iPhone. So I am used to just looking at the screen and picking my app. I'll have to mess with it a while before I make a final decision. I am interested in why you are so happy to see it go.

Thanks again.

You're welcome.

You've sort of answered your own query, in a way.  I use an Android powered smartphone and am used to the touch interface there.  My computer does not have a touch screen so using the Metro Screen with a mouse always seemed clumsy.  I never had Windows 8.1 on my computer but my partner did (I've just upgraded him to Win10) and he so hated the Metro Screen that we set him up to boot directly into the desktop [his laptop does have a touch screen].

I feel that an interface should closely hew to the platform on which it's running.  If you have a touch screen device then the Metro Screen was at least an extension of what you were used to on other touch screen devices.  The fact of the matter is there are likely many millions more non-touch-screen computers out there still than there are ones with touch screens, and the Metro Screen just "feels" completely unnatural (and like a hindrance that "stops the desktop," to me) on a standard computer.

Windows 10 is, so far, a mighty nice marriage between what was good about Windows 8/8.1 (which, in my opinion, was not all that much) and its predecessors.  One thing I really dislike, and always will, is the *&%^$# "flat look" user interface.  I want things rendered as pseudo 3-dimensional.  One of the things I do for my living is working with blind and visually impaired individuals on using the computer with assistive technologies.  For the truly blind the look and feel aspects of the GUI are unimportant, but for the visually impaired who have usable residual vision it can make a world of difference whether a button looks like a button versus being a flat patch of screen real estate that does not really show up in any distinctive way unless you're hovering over it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users