Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Settings to keep my computer private

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Clark

Dave Clark

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 08:43 AM

I'm running Windows 7 Professional and don't want to migrate to w10 in the near future.

I use Chrome as my main search engine and Gmail & Yahoo for emails. 

My son has just ordered an MS Surface pro 4 and I'm wondering if, as we are using the same router/WiFi etc, there are any settings I need to check to make sure my computer is secure.

Dave

Edited by hamluis, 19 June 2016 - 09:17 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Gen Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 10:35 AM

I am not trying to be picky, but your subject title says "privacy" and your post says "secure". Those two principles are related, but not exactly the same. "Privacy" is what many are howling about when discussing Windows 10-there isn't any, literally. According to M/Soft EULA, they own you 100% including any and all data on your hard drive. "Security" is a major issue with viruses, java script transmitted infections, root kits and the new bully on the block, ransomeware.

Which one is your major concern?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Dave Clark

Dave Clark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 11:38 AM

Hi Ranchhand

My main concern is that my son/daughter could be party to my private emails/banking/business through Google settings or because of router/Wi-Fi settings. It seem to me that a lot of my emails etc appear on my mobile so I was wondering if I should be concerned about "unintentional sharing" of info, especially due to Google settings.

Hope that makes sense

Dave

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 04:06 PM

Thanks for the info. Yes, you make perfect sense.

As to privacy settings on individual corporate websites that you use, that is the realm of those companies. Hopefully, they have systems people that will ensure that nothing is hacked or unintentionally exposed. If your emails are showing up on your kids' cell phones, that issue needs to be addressed and your settings changed. If they are not, then you are safe. Your kids would have to have your password in order to access your correspondence.  I assume that your kids are still at home, so make sure that in Windows all "sharing" options are disabled in networking. If your kids are at home and you are really paranoid about this, two routers would be one answer, one for you and one for your kids, each with separate networks and IP addresses. That is rather extreme, but do-able. If your kids are accessing your WiFi from the router, then the individual settings on your cell phone should not include auto-notification copies, etc. and do not share your password(s) with them. You can lock your phone down pretty well in the settings config screen. 

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 Dave Clark

Dave Clark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2016 - 12:03 PM

Many thanks for your helpful reply Ranchand. Will start looking at settings starting in Windows then Google chrome etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users