Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I fix this USB stick?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LukenE

LukenE

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 06:59 AM

Hello, how can I recover data from this USB stick?

5B4W58g.jpg

Edited by LukenE, 19 June 2016 - 07:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 09:51 AM

Unless you have some serious soldering skills I would give this to a person who has done this before or a professional data recovery service which can be expensive.

There are videos on youtube showing how to solder a new USB connector to the flash drive, either directly or by soldering wires between the connector and flash drive. Do a search for USB flash drive repair.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 06:31 PM

That is one seriously banjaxed memory stick, however I am not quite as pessimistic as John C - if you can solder at least reasonably and have a fine pointed iron.

I would not try to solder the connector back onto the circuit board, I would use fine insulated wire to connect each pin on the connector to each pad on the circuit board, say about 3 inches, 7 - 8 cm, long. You would need seven such pieces. My reason for saying this is structural strength. If you solder the connector back directly to the board it will not have the strength to be connected to a socket or even a USB cable. The mounting lugs are gone, completely gone, and the soldered connections do not have the strength to take the force of plugging into a socket. With a few cm of wire between the two parts you will be able to get the connector into a socket using your fingers, and get it out again. It would also be a very good idea to use some heat shrink insulation tubing on both ends of each wire to prevent accidental shorts

You are not going to be able to use this memory stick again, but if you try the above, or have a friend with the necessary skill, it will allow you to connect the stick to get the data off it. Oh, and note that, as they are laid out in your photo, the connector is upside down with reference to the circuit board.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 19 June 2016 - 06:33 PM.
Clarification

#4 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:40 PM

I would not try to solder the connector back onto the circuit board, I would use fine insulated wire to connect each pin on the connector to each pad on the circuit board, say about 3 inches, 7 - 8 cm, long. You would need seven such pieces. My reason for saying this is structural strength. If you solder the connector back directly to the board it will not have the strength to be connected to a socket or even a USB cable. The mounting lugs are gone, completely gone, and the soldered connections do not have the strength to take the force of plugging into a socket. With a few cm of wire between the two parts you will be able to get the connector into a socket using your fingers, and get it out again.

The PCB doesn't look too badly damaged in the picture. One of the through holes the connector housing solders into is obviously damaged, but there is still something there to hold the connector in place. The power and data pads are intact, which doesn't happen very often. The connector has some pins broken off, and one is broken off flush with the plastic.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:14 PM

one is broken off flush with the plastic.

My apologies for missing that one, also the delay in getting back to you - I had an 'away day' yesterday.

Your last post changes the situation, I thought at least a stub of each connector was visible in the detached plug. How valuable is the data on this memory stick ?  The reason that I ask is that the only DIY solution I can think of is going to require you to sacrifice an empty USB 3 memory stick. If you wish to think about going this route . . .

You will require 1 x USB 3 memory stick, a fine pointed soldering iron, some solder and a de-soldering pump - see the following link for an illustration,

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-de-solder-pump-n40ch

Open up the memory stick and de-solder the connectors using the iron, a little solder and the pump. If it is fixed by being soldered to the circuit board, de-solder the mounting points and remove the complete connector. Not all are soldered in, some are pegged in and just pop off when you have freed the electric connections. Then proceed as I outlined above.

Good luck.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 25 June 2016 - 02:06 PM

I'm not the topic starter. The topic starter hasn't replied yet.

It might be possible to use the old connector by grinding the plastic back until there is something to solder to. A new connector could be purchased from eBay or an electronic component supplier (I've used Digikey a lot). You don't need to buy another drive just for the USB connector unless it is a custom part. It wouldn't be easy to remove in one piece because it is surface mounted with through-hole pins to retain it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users