Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with TASK MANAGER. Anyone know the answer???

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 NothingNew4U

NothingNew4U

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 12:51 AM

I have a question for anyone out there that would share information for this question. What programs should be the only ones running when I open Task Manager? My PC runs slow and when I open Task Manager there are about 50+ programs running. What programs running should I look for in Task Manager that shouldn't be there and is there anything else I should be looking for also? What are the minimum programs I should have running in Task Manager? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 24 June 2016 - 04:17 PM.
Moved from 'Web browisng' to 'Win 7'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 06:08 AM

I would start with some anti-virus and anti-malware scans. Asking what programs run in a computer is like asking what parts are in a car; depends on the make/year/model/customization of the car. Basically if it didn't come with your computer, or you didn't install it, it's malware of some type. 

#3 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,727 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 02:11 PM

I've currently got 84 processes running.  Pretty sure there is no malware on my machine.

You would need to google each process and then decide if it is a needed or unneeded/suspicious process.  The deal with it as appropriate. 

Derfram
~~~~~~

#4 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 20 June 2016 - 03:51 AM

To be honest I'm with Trikein.  Just download malwarebytes/AVG and run a scan.  Having lots of processes doesn't mean that your computer has a virus though.  It does mean that your computer might be slower.  If you want to speed it up, sort it by memory usage/CPU usage and look what's running and possibly close some processes.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:12 AM

...Just download malwarebytes/AVG and run a scan...

AVG has somewhat fallen out of favor with many, see Quietman7's post about AVG.  Malwarebytes products are an excellent way to begin!  There are others also, I simply do not include AVG anymore in that others group.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:20 AM

Going back to your original thread opener:  Exactly what is it that you are wanting to do with your computer?  "what is it" can definitely be plural!  Your mission[s], your purpose[s], your action plans to date.  Reason for asking:  "what it is" will determine what programs are not needed or wanted, what security and monitoring programs and settings will be best, utilities that one can live without [or exist as "on-demand"], startups and services you can disable.  A word about startups and services disabling/uninstalling:  be very careful!  A real fast way to reach for one's Windows install DVD or one's restorable OS partition backup is to quickly UNclick this, UNclick that, UNclick other, such UNclicks can and often do have long term consequences.

Edited by RolandJS, 20 June 2016 - 06:21 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#7 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:58 AM

AVG has somewhat fallen out of favor with many, see Quietman7's post about AVG.  Malwarebytes products are an excellent way to begin!  There are others also, I simply do not include AVG anymore in that others group.

I hear Avira is better and/or more popular these days. I guess AVG sold out? Avast still good? 

But yea, I didn't mean to say OP has malware, just could have it, and starting with some scans will tell you so much more then looking at task manager. TM is one of those things if you have to ask how it works, you shouldn't be looking. 

#8 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:00 AM

I hear Avira is better and/or more popular these days. I guess AVG sold out? Avast still good? 

But yea, I didn't mean to say OP has malware, just could have it, and starting with some scans will tell you so much more then looking at task manager. TM is one of those things if you have to ask how it works, you shouldn't be looking. 

Best way to learn is to look and ask questions though. 

#9 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:35 AM

"Best way to learn is to look and ask questions though."

Absolutely. However the question is too vague for there to be any helpful feedback. Perhaps OP could download Minitoolbox and check of JUST "List Installed Programs" and post the results. That would at least tell how many programs there are installed on the computer.

Edited by Trikein, 21 June 2016 - 11:36 AM.

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:12 PM

Also downloading and running Piriform's Speccy would yield great information, matching up of hardware and software, then finding the best mix.

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:11 PM

This topic, currently in 'Web browsing/email and other internet applications' has got absolutely nothing to do with the internet !

If Nothingnew4U would care to post back with the information on what OS he is using I will move it to the correct forum section.

Chris Cosgrove

#12 NothingNew4U

NothingNew4U
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:22 PM

I'm using Windows 7. I'm sorry about posting on the wrong section, only reason I posted here is because someone is using Internet to remotely log-in my devices and in Task Manager I can see what task were running.

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:39 PM

I use Win 7 myself and I wonder exactly what we are all talking about here.

Looking at my version of Task manager I have the following running -

Applications       1 (Firefox)

Processes         20 +

Services           ~150  (not all of which are running)

Can you produce a screen shot of these  ~50 programs ?  If necessary stretch the task manager vertically so that you can get as many into the screen shot as possible and then either press 'Prt Scrn' and paste the whole desktop into any graphics application and crop to just the task manager image or use the snipping tool to frame the task manager, then right click to copy and pastte it into the graphics application of your choice. Once you have the image of task manager, save/export it as a JPEG then paste it into your next post. If you don't have a dedicated graphics program on your computer you do at least have MS Paint which will do the job.

MS Paint  -  'Start - All programs - Accessories - Paint' will find it. And the snipping tool lives in the same place.

Chris Cosgrove

#14 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:40 AM

- Is one of those processes using A LOT OF CPU ? I have 55 processes running and none of them is using a lot of CPU.

- A slow system is not always caused by running too much processes. One also could have a failing HD, a full HD or too little memory. Run SPECCY after your system has been up & running for say 20 minutes. (File >> Publish Snapshot) and post the link that pops up in your next reply.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

(BC offers SPECCY v1.29 but the webpage still says "v1.28")

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:02 AM

1.  Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

2.  Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.  

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users