Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I repair Win7 before upgrading to Win10?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 WouldBePolymath

WouldBePolymath

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 12:19 AM

I would describe my Win7 system as 95% healthy, not 100%, but it runs more or less as I want it to.

But now I'm going to upgrade to Win10, while I still can for free, before the June 29 deadline..

In preparation for this, I just created a disk image of my Win7 system, just in case things go horribly wrong on the upgrade.

Is it advisable to go to the trouble to repair Win7 (at which point I could create a 2nd disk image for safekeeping), before upgrading to Win10?

Or will Win10 just install in pristine condition, even though Win7 ISN'T in pristine condition?

Edited by hamluis, 19 June 2016 - 06:22 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to W10 Discussion - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 12:25 AM

What exactly do you mean by "not 100%,"...?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 01:46 AM

I would describe my Win7 system as 95% healthy, not 100%, but it runs more or less as I want it to.

Spoiler

It is not necessary. However, you may improve if you think that otherwise would not have anything to do and being bored.

#4 WouldBePolymath

WouldBePolymath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 09:10 AM

What exactly do you mean by "not 100%,"...?

It has a couple of odd little quirks.

For example, sometimes, but not always, when I move the cursor up or down in Notepad, or occasionally in Word or IE11, the page will scroll a short distance in whichever is the OPPOSITE direction from what I want it to.

And in Notepad, the F3 key no longer works for "Find Next".

I think there are a couple other little quirks that just aren't coming to mind right now.

People who know more than me about computers tell me that they think the problem is that I need to repair Windows.

So, you hate Win10.  I've heard that same opinion from a few other people.

But everyone seems to agree that it's more secure than Win7.  And in a world where malware is getting worse all the time, that's a big selling point with me.

I COULD go with Linux, but my thinking in that regard is that I want the platform that will support running as many different applications as possible, and of course just about everybody writes apps for Windows.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,226 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 09:35 AM

At the very least I'd do a run with SFC on your existing Windows 7 installation before upgrading.

The upgrade does reuse certain elements from the existing OS.  That being said, once Windows 10 is installed using the Reset this PC feature will do a clean installation of all Windows 10 OS components.

Doing an in-place upgrade on a "wonky" system is like building a house on a substandard foundation.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#6 WouldBePolymath

WouldBePolymath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 10:28 AM

At the very least I'd do a run with SFC on your existing Windows 7 installation before upgrading.

The upgrade does reuse certain elements from the existing OS.  That being said, once Windows 10 is installed using the Reset this PC feature will do a clean installation of all Windows 10 OS components.

The only SFC I'm finding is a Structured Flow Chart editor for "algorithm development" (an IDE?). I think you probably mean something else, don't you?

From what I see here, repairing Win7 could be a bit of a hassle, so wouldn't it be easier to just install Win10 and then do a Reset, if that will result in a clean install?

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,226 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 10:38 AM

See the thread, System File Checker - Use It!, in Tips & Tricks.  You need not use the script but can run it manually in an elevated command prompt.

You are free, of course, to do as you see fit.  I would not want to attempt an in-place upgrade on an existing system that I know to be "wonky" because the something(s) that are causing that wonkiness could very well stall the upgrade.  I always try to make certain that SFC comes back clean at the very minimum before doing an in-place upgrade.

If you can't get it to come back clean then I'd strongly suggest you don't go with an in-place upgrade via GWX or the "Upgrade Now" button on the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool Install webpage, but instead download the Windows 10 ISO and create the bootable media of your choice (USB or DVD) and do your upgrade that way.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,105 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 03:37 PM

I choose not to use windows 10 ...I do not 'hate' it. I value my privacy. Therefore no windows 10 for me.

Where security is concerned, I firmly believe the greatest 'threat' to ones security is.....ones self.....in other words all the "secure" systems will not protect you if you have no instinct for self preservation.

(On that point, the most secure system of them all is Linux)

Allow me to be quite clear....I am not here to "sell" you anything. Like every other member here I volunteer my time and efforts, and simply state my opinion based on the knowledge I have.

britechguy has put a good approach in place for you....I would strongly suggest you follow that.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 WouldBePolymath

WouldBePolymath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 10:31 PM

See the thread, System File Checker - Use It!, in Tips & Tricks.  You need not use the script but can run it manually in an elevated command prompt.

I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre M75e 5042 A7U, which is a 64-bit machine, running Win7 Pro, SP 1.

SFC.exe was indeed in both C:\Windows\System32 and C:\Windows\SysWOW64.

I created SFC.bat as instructed, and ran it at an elevated command prompt.

Windows Resource Protection found no integrity violations, as you can see from the attached screenshot.

So can I now ust click on the "Get Windows 10" icon in the system tray's notification area to install Win10?

Attached Files

#10 WouldBePolymath

WouldBePolymath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 10:36 PM

I choose not to use windows 10 ...I do not 'hate' it. I value my privacy.

I hear you.  I value my privacy too.  I'm just wondering how Win10 invades one's privacy, and how much more intrusive it is in that regard than Win7.  Because if I think it's too intrusive, I won't install it.  So that's why I'm asking about this BEFORE I install it.

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,105 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 11:36 PM

Programs such as this have been spawned since win 10's release....there are probably dozens of them.

To prevent Windows 10 from downloading use GWX Control Panel

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

The main complaint appears to be regarding telemetry.

THIS is a google search page....there is enough reading on this subject to fill a million libraries. In addition to this you can read an exhaustive outline in the rest of the topics in this area you are already in (windows 10 discussion)

The eventual choice is up to the individual. Some will elect to "put up with" a certain level of intrusiveness....and yet others will not have a bar of it. Only you can decide.

If you proceed with installing win 10, there is a point in the 'install' where you can elect to basically do a 'custom' install. Do not be intimidated by this....it is quite simple.....if you are unfamiliar with the decisions you have to make....it would be more than helpful to have either another pc handy to search for the subject online or maybe a mobile phone with internet access.

I made my decision partly because I do not wish to have to constantly keep looking over my shoulder for malware and telemetry problems, and  forever having to check and recheck the state of my pc. With windows 10 it is a constant ongoing thing. There was a time when I enjoyed the constant grind of keeping my windows on top of it all...it was a challenge. But in time the challenge waned .

So...with all of those factors taken into consideration....I made the switch to Linux. I looked at dual booting and decided that it wasnt for me.....I found it all a bit complex

So I backed up all pics and music to a separate external hard drive and installed linux mint on a thumb drive...booted to it......and loved it. It was not without its dramas and lots of "work"..setting firefox up again.....although i soon found the value of "Sync"......that was a lifesaver...it just load all my add ons etc etc and life was a breeze.

I use Thunderbird email....it was a challenge copy and pasting the thunderbird "profile" over to linux....so that it bought all my emails and folders etc etc with it....but with help from the people here at BC i succeeded.

If you run a web based browser like gmail, life is simple....just sign in and away you go.

I figured out how to save the changes i had made to the linux thimb drive so that my changes were not lost......played with it for a while....then got sick and tired of playing with both linux and windows...and decided that in my circumstances I could achieve everything in linux that i could in windows.

So i took a final image of windows to yet another external hard drive........and clicked on "Install Linux" on the linux mint desktop....and the rest is history.

The hard drives with all the backup stuff is sitting in a cupboard gathering dust, and will remain there for the forseeable future.

That is MY story/decision.....and is not for everyone....I know a few people here were somewhat aghast that I 'took the plunge" in such a definite manner....but that is just me.

I now run win 10 in a Virtual Machine...(i have two screens which helps !).....I do this so I can stay in touch for when I help people such as yourself in the windows forums....more specifically in the "Am I Infected" area.

Speaking of infection...malware etc etc etc.....My linux install runs NO antivirus. Just a firewall. Installing a firewall??...click on terminal (on task bar) type sudo ufw enable   hit enter and your password and its done.

I could go on and on....but I will leave you in peace to read....and read.

oh....and btw....Read....Edit to add....THIS

Edits for spelling....linux does not automatically make you a 'gun' typist

Edited by Condobloke, 20 June 2016 - 07:08 PM.

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users