Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Numbering the Forum Rules/Rule Questions.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 12:18 AM

Numbering the forum rules so they're easy to reference off hand. 

While reading through them again I noticed a couple that I have some specifics about. 

• When posting, please use proper grammar. Refrain from 'text-message' style substitutions of words like 'u' for 'you', and 'ur' for 'your'. This is a multi-national forum, and some of our non-english speaking members must use translation software which is confused by abbreviations. Most of our volunteer members are very busy helping as many people as they can, and a post that is hard to read will often be overlooked.

Seeing as there are non English speakers. Are we allowed to use normally commonly used English turns-of-phrase or common English abbreviations such as "ETC" for "etcetera"? Reason being that they wouldn't translate very well, if not at all. (ETC being a bad example, but you get my point)

Also saw this-

• There will be no  use of profanity on our message boards.  This will not be tolerated and can lead to immediate suspension. 

Was wondering if acronyms with vulgar words in the acronym are okay (like BFG). I used POS the other day without a 2nd thought to the idea that a cures is inlaid to it, but when going over the rules for a refresher and seeing the emphasis on no profanity....I quickly scanned back over my posts to make sure I hadn't done so recently and saw that.

I'd like to know if doing so is okay or not. From now on I'm going to assume it's not and watch my post more carefully. Some confirmation would be nice though. 

Edited by SEANIA, 19 June 2016 - 12:19 AM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,051 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:52 PM

Hello there,

Re: Abbreviations - it depends on what it is.  www, for example, is well-known and used widely, so it's perfectly fine to use that.  Many others, in particular acronyms, create a problem because these are often specific to a field or subject.  When using acronyms, the proper usage is write out what it stand for the first time with the acronym in parenthesis right after it.  Then the next time you use it in that piece of writing, use the acronym.  In your post above, I have no clue what BFG stands for: Big friendly goose? Best friend's grandfather?  and when I saw POS, I immediately thought, Point of Service.  Now given what else  you've written in that paragraph, I suspect that's not correct.  Hence, you can see why writing out the words of the acronym is important.  Now commonly used abbreviations, which is different from an acronym, is a different kettle of fish.  For example, if you're writing a street address, abbreviations such as Ave. St. Ln. etc. are fine.  Of course, there doesn't seem to be much call for such in these forums.

As for common turns of phrase, if they are very well known and not just local, go ahead and use it.  No translation is 100% perfect, and every language has idioms that don't translate well into another language.  Some examples from English:

I pitched my cookies.

He kicked the bucket.

I'm all done in.

As you may have surmised by now, I'm a language teacher.

I'll let someone else address the other part of your question.

~ OB :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 SEANIA

SEANIA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:52 AM

Thank you ^_^ 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users