Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing, Configuring, and Maintaining Windows 10 on a Prebuild Gaming Desktop

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 HoDANG

HoDANG

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 12:13 AM

This is my first post here on Bleeping Computer. I find myself lurking around here quite a bit, but I've finally come to a point where I need to stop being an introvert and go ahead and ask for some help.

To start, I need to give a bit of background information about how I've got things going. January of last year was when my Prebuilt Gaming Desktop came from CyberPowerPC. It came preinstalled with Win8.1 and a few useful programs installed for monitoring my temperatures, configuring audio settings, among other things. It was an unexpected transition from Windows 7, I'll tell you that. The flaws with Win8.1 were what lead me to stay up untill 4am on July 29th, or was it the 25th... to install Win10.

Anyways, after my full swipe through ImmersiveSettings and Control Panel, I came to love windows 10 just as I did Win7(Maybe I just hated Win8.1 a bunch, who knows). The only problem I had with Windows 10 in my first 11 months of using it was a bug with Adaptive colors refreshing my File Manager(Helped out a bunch of people on Microsoft forums with that one).

Well, that was until around two weeks ago. After taking a Cisco IT Essentials class at my highschool, I started to notice how awful of habits I have. I chose to start caring about my Windows 10 experience, and to me that meant clean installing Win10 and keeping my system away from anything that is unneeded and unwanted.

-No more laggy suffocating software/services that comes along with drivers.
-No more using an Admin account as my main account.
-No more Flash player
-No more Internet Explorer
-No more ActiveX Plugins that are apparently run without permissiom by default
-No more Virtual Machine services
-No more File Sharing/Network Sharing
-No more Remote Access
-No more DCOM/DCOM+ having Remote Access to me
I could go on, but that really isn't going to get me anywhere closer to closing up this post.

After taking a Cisco IT Essentials class at my highschool, I thought that this would be easy. Hah easy? WHAT WAS I THINKING!

After just the first clean install, I went about setting up everything all day on my admin account, and when I went to create my non-admim account, it put my computer into an infinite spinning circles loop.

I was also unable to enter advanced startup so I had to plug in my USB and used bcdedit legacybootmenu to enable the F8 Key in order to enter safe mode. From there I uninstalled the security update and that seemed to fix it. Untill a day later when I noticed all my user accounts were corrupt, event viewer has an endless supply of Warnings, Errors, and Information at about 10,000 per hour almost all of them were with the Source Microsoft-Windows-WMI, and I was forced to clean install again.

Clean install blah blah lookin good create an account and bam, spinning circles loop. All user accounts corrupted as well.

At the end if the week I figured out that this was caused by the fact that Windows update pushes out the Beta version of the nvidia drivers... and that was conflicting with the security update Windows also pushed sooo... rest in pepperoons my whole week

So now this is when I clean installed yet again, this time installing the Non-Beta NVidia drivers through their website which fixed my problem.
^^^This right here was about a week ago. Since then I have been pretty happy with windows, except for one Huuuuuge thing.

I'm still having issues with Microsoft-Windows-WMI along with a bunch of systems/services/files showing up as missing, and apps displaying errors.
Also, all the corrupt user account symptons seem to return while running my computer in safe mode, so I know something is up.

I think I have some nasty driver/firmware virus that is screwing with my computer. I see weird usb/audio/all sorts of devices listed as OEM##.sys or OEM##.inf in device manager.

I also think that it is somehow connecting to my computer over my network. Is that even possible? At one point I started to believe it may be a virus from my network printer.

HitmanPro also found a printer.dll file inside my spooler/driver folder (dont remember the exact info right now) that was the arabic version according to virustotal and the driver had some arabic text as the file description. The driver said it was signed by microsoft though and virustotal marked it safe, although I deleted it through hitmanpro.

Does anybody have any clue what may be happening to my computer, and where I should go from here. I'm afraid that eventually my user accounts will become corrupt again, because when I was in safe mode I noticed that. Also, I ran A full 6 hour Chkdsk /r /f on my whole drive and it found absolutely nothing. After just running that chkdsk /r /f , I shut down my computer and wrote up this post.

Edit:To avoid rebumping my post I'd just like to say that I'm willing to do whatever doesn't cost me money to get this fixed. Be it running a bunch of scans, installing/uninstalling/reenabling/disabling certain windows functions, clean installing, as long as it doesn't involve buying new hardware.

Edited by HoDANG, 19 June 2016 - 01:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 06:57 PM

If infected, I'd suggest posting over in the Am I Infected forum:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
Please read the pinned topics at the top of the forum for instructions on how to post there.

If it's not infected, Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.
If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 HoDANG

HoDANG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2016 - 03:45 PM

I think that you are right. I have gotten a number of unexpected shutdowns, but I believe most were from clicking the reboot button that was built into my case. I did not consider my teachers advice when she told us that improper shutdowns == bsod. Now I am confused as to why they would even install a reboot button onto the case.

As for these steps you have provided for me, I am sorry to inform you that I was impatient and ended up clean installing once more. However, I just encountered a freeze and was forced to power down improperly as I had no other option. My mouse and keyboard stopped working. After starting back up I went into event manager and did a google search for the error. I found a post on the Microsoft community help forums in which a microsoft employee suggested running a mem check. Right now I am in Memtest86 and it is almost 5 hours in at Pass 4/4 and has not found any errors and I doubt it will by the time it's done. After that, I will complete the given steps, even though the issue may be completely different at this point than you had been expecting to help with. Sorry about that.

Also, will step 2 provide the error code from the freeze, or should I attach it as well?

---------------------------------------------------

(Note: I did all these stuff on my last install vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv) On my current install, which I did Last night, I have only a few of these , like disabling hpet,ehci hand-off, and On board lan since my house has no ethernet in the walls and the coax is plugged into the At&t "Gateway" downstairs. I also changed a couple other settings which I can check for you if you need that info

I'd also like to mention that I changed some settings in my Bios as well as inside of windows itself according to this guide : http://www.overclock.net/t/1433882/gaming-and-mouse-response-bios-optimization-guide-for-modern-pc-hardware

In following his steps, I was uncertain what to set my ram to in step 2 so I left it default. After looking in to what each other setting affected, I chose the ones I preferred, as I still needed a functioning system. After completing the guide, running prime95, and rebooting for each step I thought was most important, I came back to the ram.

The ram is what messed me up, and I think I might have damaged something. I was able to get mine working at 8-8-8-24 with 1500mhz, and thought I might aswell go back in and try his 7-8-7-24 settings. I saved and rebooted but while booting up my computer made a sound that sounded like when you try to start a lawnmower but you don't pull hard enough so it shuts itself off. It did that 2 times, shutting itself off in between each, and then showee up "Choose from saved OC Profiles 1, 2, 3, 4, 5". I chose the previous profile which was working and it booted up fine again. I don't know what the noise meant, but it didn't sound pleasent.

The computer also makes a screeching whining noise for a few seconds at startup, as well as a constant, much quieter, humming / chirping noise throughout it's use. These two things have been happening for a few months, so it was not caused by the ram issue I mentiones earlier.

Edited by HoDANG, 21 June 2016 - 11:57 AM.

#4 HoDANG

HoDANG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2016 - 03:57 PM

Memtest86, gettting other info for you in a sec

Edit: Ok, here are the zips. Inside of memtest it said cpu temp was 45 which is about what it is normally. I'll check to see the temps of other parts.

EDIT2: WOAHHH... MOTHERBOARD AUDIO IS RUNNING AT 85-119C
Edit3: I disabled the on board audio in the bios and now its jumping between 0 , 100 , 0 , 100 celcius. I think the sensor might have stopped working correctly and wont consistantly read the temp.
I shutdown the computer, flicked the power switch on the powersuply to off, and unplugged everything from the computer. I will wait for instructions. I hope it is not an issue with the powersupply or motherboard :(

Edit4: nevermind... it's just trying to read a sensor that isnt even there... http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2443042/auxtin0-auxtin1-auxtin3-temperatures-crazy.html

Attached Files

Edited by HoDANG, 21 June 2016 - 08:52 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:43 AM

If it's over 100ºC - then you'll feel the heat whenever you get close to it (DO NOT TOUCH IT!!! - You'll get serious burns!!!)

Your UEFI/BIOS (version V1.13) dates from 2016.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  This is just in case there has been a recent update.

Only 6 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 10586 (TH2/1511) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

These devices are disabled in Device Manager.  If you deliberately disabled them - why did you disable them?:

Intel® Wireless Bluetooth®    USB\VID_8087&PID_07DC\5&3AC2BAEE&0&7    This device is disabled.
NVIDIA High Definition Audio    HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_0040&SUBSYS_14622848&REV_1001\5&E72C48F&0&0001    This device is disabled.

Please re-enable these devices, then update their drivers (the drivers load into memory before they are disabled).  Then, if you'd like, feel free to disable them again.

Beyond that, if it passes all of the diagnostics, then we'll look into a "clean" install of Windows (to rule out 3rd party and Windows components).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 HoDANG

HoDANG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 11:58 AM

I have read other users posts which suggest that that sensor is not present, so HwINFO has misread the sensor. In HwMonitor and MSI Afterburner they are not read, so I assume it is just an issue with the HwINFO program misreading a sensor. In addition, the weird screeching/whining noise I hear at startup is my CD/DVD tray trying to see if there is a disc in it or not. The faint humming/chirping noise is the Hard Disk and I think it may be dying... any suggestions for a cheap SSD? :)

Here is my motherboards bios update page : https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z97-GAMING-5.html#down-bios

When I boot up into the bios it does indeed say v1.13 , however on the website there isn't even a version 1.13 listed . How can I tell if have the latest update or not? On the page I linked it says the latest is V1.D

(If that doesn't make sense, what I'm trying to ask is weather or not the version I have is in fact v1.D from the website, since V1.13 isn't even listed) 

Also, I had received 4 warning messages for drivers that failed to install.  I followed the steps provided by microsoft to fix it, but I'm not sure if they ever decided to install themselves after I did these steps.

1. Stop Windows update Service

2. Delete everything from C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore

3. Delete everything from C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

4. Start Windows update Service

When you say Hotfixes, what does that mean? Also, is there a way I can manually install these windows updates that I may be missing? I've heard something about a Windows Update Catalog but I'm not sure what that is.

Also, I disabled Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® because I do not use it. It is built into my dual band wireless card which I only use the 2.4ghz band, and it seems to run even if I set Bluetooth® AMP to disabled. 

oErEQAp.png?2

For the bluetooth, I believe I went into all 3 of the drivers and disabled them (2 microsoft and 1 intel driver, from the properties menu of the bluetooth device inside of Control Panel > Devices and Printers) . 

I disabled NVIDIA High Definition Audio inside of device manager and Autoruns because it is used for the HDMI audio on my LG monitor, which I have disabled in my monitor setup menu anyways and do not use.

Also when you say, (the drivers load into memory before they are disabled) , 

Please re-enable these devices, then update their drivers (the drivers load into memory before they are disabled).  Then, if you'd like, feel free to disable them again.

what exactly does that mean? 

If I have them disabled on purpose, should I still go ahead and re enable them and update them? For the bluetooth device, it seems to stay running in the background unless I uninstall all 3 from the listing, like I said above. So even if I did update them, I would go ahead and uninstall/disable them right after so is there some purpose which I do not understand completely? 

Edit: the 4 devices that didn't install, not sure if they've installed since then or not vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

tPdAJNQ.png?1

Edited by HoDANG, 21 June 2016 - 12:05 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:33 PM

SSD suggestions:  http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-recommendation-benchmark,3269.html#p2

As for the BIOS, it dates from February 16th of 2016 - so there's no significant difference between the latest one on the website and the one that you had.
Leave it be for now.

Hotfixes are the only way that I can see how much Windows Updating has been done.

Unfortunately, a hotfix can contain differing number of updates - and they can combine them in order to make them install faster.

Also, as each system is different, the requirements for which Windows Updates are needed is different.
That's why I say the actual number doesn't matter.

What happens when you try to install Windows Updates:

- does it finish?

- does it give you any error messages?

- does it say that no updates are available?

In short, you have to trust that the machine knows best at this point.

When Windows boots up, one of the first things that it does is load drivers.

These drivers are what enable the devices (such as bluetooth and nVidia audio) to work.

Without the drivers, the devices won't work.
BUT, without drivers, the devices may cause problems simply because they don't have drivers and the system doesn't know how to deal with them.

And, if there's an older driver for those disabled devices, it may have issues with other drivers even though it's disabled.

I don't think that this is a very likely scenario, but it's better to play safe when dealing with the unknown consequences of older disabled drivers.

Failed driver updates are a funny thing.  There's many things that can cause this.

One is that the installation failed because there's a newer driver already on the system.

I would presume that another would be trying to install drivers onto disabled devices (but I'm not sure how this would affect the nVidia video drivers as they usually come bundled with the audio drivers).

Also, if you try to install Windows Updates and aren't connected to the internet, you'll get a failure message also.

Reboot and try again.  Does the system say there was a problem installing them?

If so, then we're going to have to ask one of the Windows Update experts to have a look at this. (or go ahead with the "clean" install and see if that fixes it).

#8 HoDANG

HoDANG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:14 PM

Windows Update : Your device is up to date :)

The only problems I seem to have left are : 1) 

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 
{D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}
 and APPID 
{9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}
 to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

I google searched it and people are telling me I have to use one of the Sysinternals tools to change the permisssions on a registry key by using some HUGE line of code that is foreign to me, and I do not feel comfortable in doing unless I know how that command will effect my computer

and 2)

The Sync Host_25525 service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 10000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

waitt......

i just noticed....

both of these Errors occur at the same time!! They must be related!! now I feel very uncomfortable changing the permissions of the first thing... I'd rather DELETE IT!!

I do not want any Syncing to be done on my computer AT ALL!!

Other than that, system is running perfectly fine now :DDDDD 
I still have the TiWorker, InstallAgent, TrustedInstaller,  and other app related programs running at times(This was the cause of my huge virus scare from my original post), but I guess I just have to deal with that. I still don't see why windows wants me to update my apps when I have no apps installed, but I guess it's just something I am forced to deal with. 

tysm, you have been extremely helpful :D I would have gone crazy if I didn't have somebody to help

#9 HoDANG

HoDANG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:18 PM

Now I've just gotta figure out how to make a full system image/backup and I'll be good to go :D

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:15 AM

You have apps installed, they came preloaded on the system with Windows.

I generally ignore the DCOM errors, and am starting to ignore the SyncHost errors also (but haven't done a lot of research on them).

Windows is not a perfect OS, you will see errors in the Event Viewer even if the system is working fine.  Don't worry about them unless you're having problems with the system.

Over the years I have experimented with tweaking systems a lot (to the point of breaking them on a regular basis :0)

I have found that the less I tweak/change, the more stable the system remains.  I've been using W10 for over a year now and have only had 1 issue with it

FYI - it was a FastRing build release from the insider program and I fixed it by using System Restore and then changing to the SlowRing.  I'm currently on a new machine and am not using the Slow or Fast Ring (but will move to them shortly).

My point here is that I encourage you to not make many adjustments to the system in order to keep it stable.

Once you get well-versed in making images and restore points, then you can make changes all day long - and if they fail you can just restore the latest image.

The problems start when you forget to make an image and then have problems.

I like to use Acronis True Image (you have to pay for it), but there are many other utilities for this (and I'm not familiar with them)

I'd ask around for opinions if you're interested in the others (to include the free one's).  I'd suggest posting it here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/238/backup-imaging-and-disk-management-software/

Also, there's a nice tutorial here for using the inbuilt Windows tool (by FreeBooter):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/616536/creating-a-windows-backup-image/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users