Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Server 2003 on HP Server with 10000rpm SAS drive is good for gb network?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 softcrew2014

softcrew2014

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 07:15 PM

Good Day,

I am planning to upgrade my switch and clients LAN cards  to gigabit. All files they are accessing under this Windows Server 2003 with 10000rpm SAS drive in HP Server with XEON processor with a gigabit NIC. Id like to ask if ever I will upgrade the switch to gigabit and install gigabit cards on all supported clients mobo, will it give me a huge boost in performance?

Thank you for giving your Ideas. :busy:

Edited by softcrew2014, 18 June 2016 - 07:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 05:18 PM

yes and no, i say no because if the current PC dont already have a gigabit NIC then im guessing they are fairly old PC's.

SAS drives are great and at 10K this would assists in data transfer speeds when using AutoCAD etc etc.

#3 androbourne

androbourne

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 27 June 2016 - 01:28 PM

How many drives and what Raid type are you going with, or is there no Raid at all?

If you wanted straight performance you could go with a stripped Raid across multiple SAS drives and get a decent boost but then you have no redundancy in case of a drive failure.

A good balance of performance with redundancy is to go with a Raid 5 or a Raid 10.

If you do not have a Raid at all and you are simply just storing that data on 1 SAS drive.. you most likely wont notice that big of a difference and if you were going to do that... why not just go with an SSD drive instead?

P.S.

Also just a side note. Windows 2003 is end of life, you may want to think about upgrading soon as Microsoft is no longer patching that OS and it leave it open to attacks... Just something to think about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users