Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CryptOlOcker attack, am looking for advise and help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 daddyrat

daddyrat

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 07:05 PM

Hi there. My computer has been attacked by this cryptolocker ranson ware.
It was hidden in a legitimate looking electricity bill.
I am running Spybot virus protection and I believe it was running at the time even though after scanning the computer after the attack the internet protection was off and I had to manually reset it.
I was referred here by the spybot forum.

Any help or advise much appreciated... I am not the most software literate person so any help is much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 07:34 PM

go here to verify which variant you have and then visit Here to see the corresponding support topic

#3 daddyrat

daddyrat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 07:57 PM

ID Ransomware

logo-150.png ID Ransomware

Upload a ransom note and/or sample encrypted file to identify the ransomware that has encrypted your data.

Knowing is half the battle! GI Joe
1 Result
Crypt0L0cker
This ransomware has no known way of decrypting data at this time.

It is recommended to backup your encrypted files, and hope for a solution in the future.

Identified by

• ransomnote_filename: HOW_TO_RESTORE_FILES.txt
  • sample_extension: .encrypted
Click here for more information about Crypt0L0cker

© Copyright 2016 MalwareHunterTeam. All rights reserved.

App v1.2.6, Updated 06/18/2016
Coded by Demonslay335

OK. There does not seem to be a decrypter at this time. Might it be worth paying the ransom or is that just asking fo more trouble, which I assume it is.

And if I cut my losses, how do I clean up my computer?

And what's the best way to back up a computer? Yes I am that illiterate! ;-)

#4 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 09:12 PM

I got this from the support topic Credit to Quietman7:

Crypto malware ransomware is typically programmed to automatically remove itself...the malicious files responsible for the infection...after the encrypting is done since they are no longer needed. The encrypted files do not contain malicious code so they are safe. Unfortunately, most victims do not realize they have been infected until the ransomware displays the ransom note and the files have already been encrypted. As such, they don't know how long the malware was on the system before being alerted or if other malware was installed along with the ransomware. If other malware was involved it could still be present so be sure to perform full scans with your anti-virus.

If your antivirus did not detect and remove anything, additional scans should be performed with other security programs like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Emsisoft Anti-Malware. You can also supplement your anti-virus or get a second opinion by performing an Online Virus Scan...ESET is one of the more effective online scanners.

If you need individual assistance only with removing the malware infection, follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide...all other questions or comments should be posted in the support topics. When you have done that, start a new topic and post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.                  

you could also go here for a ransom note remover

Edited by TheTripleDeuce, 18 June 2016 - 09:18 PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 05:00 AM

Your FRST log has been removed as they are not permitted in this forum. If you need individual assistance only with removing the malware infection, start a new topic and repost your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

As for the infection....there is an ongoing discussion in this topic where you can ask questions and seek further assistance. Other victims have been directed there to share information, experiences and suggestions.Rather than have everyone with individual topics, it would be best (and more manageable for staff) if you posted any more questions, comments or requests for assistance in the above support topic discussion...it includes experiences by experts, a variety of IT consultants, end users and company reps who have been affected by ransomware infections. Doing that will also ensure you receive proper assistance from our crypto malware experts since they may not see this thread. To avoid unnecessary confusion, this topic is closed.

Thanks
The BC Staff
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users