Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[URGENT] Dual boot Win 8 and Win 7 issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Agglomerate

Agglomerate

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:56 PM

I currently have UEFI Windows 8.1 installed on a 1TB drive, formatted in GPT. This has created an issue when trying to install W7 - it doesn't play nice with UEFI...

UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows

I've followed this tutorial in order to create the USB drive with Rufus (UEFI Bootable).

Can I simply shrink the partition my W8 is installed on by say, 200GB, and then select the unallocated space in the W7 installer to install it in UEFI mode? (Have to install with UEFI due to GPT drive). Or can I not dual boot them both in UEFI mode? Will selecting the unallocated space and installing W7 in UEFI ruin my W8 installation?

Before you suggest I simply delete all the partitions on the drive and start from scratch - this is NOT an option.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:58 PM

Can you add another blank drive for Win 7 ?

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 11:35 PM

Only 64-bit version of Windows 7 support booting from GUID partition table (GPT) disks  unified extensible firmware interface (UEFI). 32-bit versions of Windows 7 and previous version of Windows OS  does not support booting from GUID partition table (GPT) disks and does not support unified extensible firmware interface (UEFI) the data storage is supported on GUID partition table (GPT) disks. The  64-bit version of Windows 7 does not support Secure Boot and has  to be disabled before 64-bit Windows 7 can be install on computers.

Posted Image

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 24 June 2016 - 11:56 PM

Forget to add that you can shrink the partition Windows 8 installed and clean install 64-bit version of Windows 7 on that unallocated space.

You need to shrink the Windows 8 partition to make room for a Windows 7 partition. For this task you will use Windows 8’s ‘Disk Management’. To access Disk Management, open the ‘Desktop’ and press the BxVxp04.png + X, then select ‘Disk Management’.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users