Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios doesn't see my external Usb dvd drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mario909

mario909

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 05:14 PM

Hello, i have a HP pavillion DV-5 laptop that i'm trying to boot from my USB dvd drive. in the bios i have two options to boot from a USB device. USB floppy and USB hard disk. here's what i'm trying to do. i have a Ubuntu 16.04 disc that i want to boot from to install on my hard drive. right now i have Windows Vista on my hard drive and want to wipe that and install Ubuntu.

i have tried using both options of USB floppy and USB hard drive but none of them will boot my USB dvd drive. i can boot into safe mode and see my Ubuntu disc in my computer. is it possible to run the Ubuntu disc using the CMD prompt? 

And is so, how to do it step by step. 

Thank you for any input you may have.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:21 PM

Is USB floppy and USB hard drive the only options? On my Compaq that originally came with Vista there is an option for USB key. I don't believe you can start Ubuntu from the command line in Windows.

Are you trying to dual boot or have a standalone install of Ubuntu? Do you have access to another computer?

#3 mario909

mario909
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:34 PM

Hello and thanks for your reply. Yes, USB floppy and USB hard drive are the only two options i can choose from. 

And yes, i'm trying to do a standalone install of Ubuntu. I have access to another computer but it has Ubuntu installed 16.04 , not sure if that matters.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:47 PM

I would try installing using a bootable flash drive first using Rufus and the Ubuntu iso file. Attach your USB flash drive to the Vista Computer and run Rufus. Select MBR partition scheme. Leave all boxes as checked. Where freedos is listed in the dropdown box select iso image. Click the icon and browse to the Ubuntu iso file. Press Start. Any data on the flash drive needs to be backed up first. 

If Vista is not bootable you can use your linux computer to download and install Unetbootin.

If the USB flash drive does not boot you can remove the hard drive from the laptop and attach it either internally or by using a USB enclosure or adapter. Install Ubuntu to the external drive then install to the laptop. Ubuntu will detect the new hardware and boot. The steps required to install to an external are different and would be best asked in the Linux Forum.

#5 mario909

mario909
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 10:45 PM

Hey Wow it worked !!! , Thank you so much JohnC_21. You are awesome. i used Rufus and copied the ISO to my USB flash drive. i then went to my bios and told my computer to boot from USB hard drive.

Now my goal is to install Ubuntu 16.04 onto my laptop, thanks again dude you rock.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users