Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Urgent help - locked windows drive

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 speer

speer

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 05:02 PM

Ran a live distribution of Linux and rebooted to get back on Windows 10. Stuck boot with a black screen and blinking cursor. I think I broke the MBR.

Ran a Windows repair disk and when trying to refresh my PC it says the drive windows is installed on is locked. Only able to get in to CMD. 

Ran bootrec /fixboot (element not found) , /rebuildbcd /fixmbr and nothing has worked.

http://imgur.com/vAa18Yl

Any input would be cherished.

Attached Files

Edited by speer, 18 June 2016 - 05:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 05:41 PM

At the diskpart prompt type

list disk

select disk 0

list partition

select partition 1

detail partition

What is the output? Is the partition marked as Active? 

Using your Windows 10 disk try doing a Startup Repair. It may take up to three attempts before the repair is completed.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-advanced-startup-options-boot-windows-10-a.html

#3 speer

speer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 09:48 PM

Thanks a lot for the reply! It says it's not active. I'll go ahead and try running hose repairs some more and hope it works!

Cheers

Attached Files

#4 speer

speer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 10:44 PM

I ran the startup repair 7 times , it runs for about 30 seconds and my system restarts straight back to the windows setup menu. Is this what is supposed to happen?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 06:55 AM

I ran the startup repair 7 times , it runs for about 30 seconds and my system restarts straight back to the windows setup menu. Is this what is supposed to happen?

If it has not worked after 7 times then it will not work.

In your image your primary partition is not active for some reason. Do the following diskpart commands

list disk

select disk 0

list partition

select partition 1

active

exit

Reboot. Does Windows boot. If not run the Startup Repair again for a maximum of three times.

Edit: Another thing I noticed is there is no volume letter listed for your Extended/logical partition in your first image.In other words diskpart is not recognizing what I believe is your Windows partition. There should be a volume letter for your 465GB partition. This does not look like a normal partition structure for Windows 10 though I may be wrong.

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 June 2016 - 07:10 AM.

#6 speer

speer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 09:25 AM

I activated the psrtition, the startup repair says it failed to work and my drive still says it's locked.

What I originally did was divide my main partition in half for my Linux partition with windows disk manager.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 09:41 AM

Something broke when you tried to partition the drive for linux. During a Linux install the partition management is usually done using linux. Linux can also automatically set the space requirements during the install. I am not sure what else to try other than trying to recover your personal data and reinstalling Windows.

When you boot your linux disk do you see your Windows files using the distro's file manager? 

One other option: Download and burn a disk of Boot Repair. Select Recommend repair. If that does not work I think you are looking at reinstalling Windows. Was this an upgrade to Windows 10 or did the computer come preinstalled with Windows 10?

#8 speer

speer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 09:57 AM

I wasn't actually able to install Linux because I've been so focused on this issue, although I did run puppy Linux love boot. I'm not very familiar with Linux but I wasnt able to find windows files.

It does show 2 drives but it seems I can't get inside them. The Rox file manager seems to only be able to go up the tree of its Linux directories.

There are some important files on this computer , any software recommendations? Something I can run on a USB drive and drive which allows me to drag and drop important files back to the USB drive would be wonderful.

The computer originally had windows 7 but was recently upgraded to win 10

#9 speer

speer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 09:59 AM

Here is a pic from Linux

Attached Files

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2016 - 10:12 AM

I am not familiar with that Puppy distro but you should have more than one sdaX icon in the lower left if it was able to detect your Windows partition. 

Open a terminal in Puppy and type the following command.Post the output.

I am not sure if Puppy will recognize it though. It is recognize using Parted Magic which is another recovery distro available on the UBCD

lsblk -o name,label,size,fstype

I think at this point you may need to pull the drive and attach it to another computer using an enclosure or USB adapter then scan the disk with something like Easeus Data Recovery which will let you recover up to 2GB for free.

http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/free-data-recovery-software.htm

#11 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 21 June 2016 - 04:31 PM

Windows 10 has something called Hybrid Shutdown, (FastBoot) if you can turn that off do it.

If not, boot to a command prompt (boot to cd/flashdrive and select advanced>Command Prompt. and try these.

bootrec.exe /ScanOs

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

bootrec.exe /fixboot

bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

if nothing still try the dism and sfc commands.

sfc /scannow

OFFLINE:  Dism /Image:C:\offline /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\test\mount\windows

ONLINE: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\test\mount\windows

you can add /LimitAccess  to the end of the ONLINE command to prevent the DISM tool from using Windows Update as a repair source or as a backup repair source for online images.

-ViperSec.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users