Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalled Xp And Now I'm Missing The Network Adaptor?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dustbegone

dustbegone

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:26 PM

I am having some trouble with our other computer. We needed to reinstall windows XP. After we did that we could no longer connect to the internet. I thought this was because we messed up when we reinstalled Windows, but we reinstalled it a second time and still nothing! I have done some troubleshooting and have found that there is no network adapter listed in the Device Manager. I am not sure what else I may be missing. I haven't a clue how this happened or how to get one. Is this something that can be downloaded? Isn't this something that should've been on the restore disc?

We used the restore CD that came with the computer. We don't have any back up discs (yeah, I know STUPID!!) So I am clueless on what to do at this point. I am getting really frustrated, can someone please help me? We can't connect at all on that computer so I can't do any checks online for drivers or whatever to see if they are compatiable with windows so I'm afraid of screwing it up even more. Please help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:16 PM

What you are going to have to do is remove the network card and find out the manufacturer and model number of it. The on another computer go to that manufacturer's web site and download the Windows XP driver for this NIC card and install it. Apparently the drivers for this card are not part of the Windows disks which I find kind of strange seeing as you are using the Recovery disks for the computer. One other thing you might want to check is device manager and see how many drivers were not installed and then write them down and try the driver disk that came with the recovery disk set and install everything driver wise off of the disk.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:29 PM

Also, check to see if you have other discs that came with the computer. My internet connection and modem stuff are on a different recovery disc than my operating system.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:57 PM

In addition to the Restore disk you should have a drivers disk too.

If not, look up your computer at support at the manufacturer's site.
It will probably have a driver download for your nic card.

You can also use the add hardware manager in the control panel to see if you can force installation of the nic card.

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:56 PM

We used the restore CD that came with the computer. We don't have any back up discs

I don't know that a backup would help much with drivers. Is your network adapter integrated into the motherboard or a separate card? If it's a Dell or something, you can go to Dell support and see if you can download a driver there. (Obviously not with the computer that has no network adapter showing.) As has been mentioned already, there is usually more than one disk. Dell usually sends out a bunch of 'em. But it varies with manufacturer.

#6 dustbegone

dustbegone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:12 AM

Thank you for your suggestions. I will do a little searching this morning before work to see what I can find.
What I do know at the moment is this: It's an Emachines T3410 and it only came with one recovery disk. And when I go into the Device Manager, Network Adaptors isn't even listed. I am not sure how to figure out what driver or drivers weren't installed during the restore process. How many drivers should I have? Is this why I don't have sound either? I don't know how to figure this stuff out. And as far as forcing the install, I might see about doing that after I look up information at Emachines website on this computer. I tried to use the hardware manager to install stuff but it wants to check online to see if it's compatiable with XP. Can't do that cuz I can't get online. Aggervating machine!

#7 dustbegone

dustbegone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:21 AM

Needing more help/advice. I know, I'm a pain and I'm sorry. I am at the website for Emachine. And I have a list of downloads to choose from. Here's my new problem. How do I pick the right one or do I download all of them? How do I download them to this machine and then install them on the other machine? I've never done anything like this before. Can ya tell?! LOL

Here's the link for the website
http://www.emachines.com/support/product_s...amp;model=T3410

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:45 AM

I am assuming that you have an ethernet card in your computer as I assume you connected to the internet with it before using a broadband connection - And the specs they publish say you have one:
Network: 10/100Mbps integrated Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)

I cannot locate a driver for the ethernet adapter.

The best thing to do is for you to "chat" with a tech which they have available on their support page and maybe they can direct you to a download.

There should not be a charge for this feature.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:56 AM

Thank you for your suggestions. I will do a little searching this morning before work to see what I can find.
What I do know at the moment is this: It's an Emachines T3410 and it only came with one recovery disk. And when I go into the Device Manager, Network Adaptors isn't even listed. I am not sure how to figure out what driver or drivers weren't installed during the restore process. How many drivers should I have? Is this why I don't have sound either? I don't know how to figure this stuff out. And as far as forcing the install, I might see about doing that after I look up information at Emachines website on this computer. I tried to use the hardware manager to install stuff but it wants to check online to see if it's compatiable with XP. Can't do that cuz I can't get online. Aggervating machine!

There should be a box to have it check the cd drive too and use your restore disk in the drive (for both)

The restore disk should have installed both the ethernet adapter and the audio device.

Sound should be an adapter under "Sound Video and Game Controllers" (not the codecs or legacy audio drivers)

#10 dustbegone

dustbegone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 08:25 AM

The restore disc that the machine came with only has the OS on it. No drivers. And we weren't smart enough to make any copies when we first got the machine. We know better NOW.

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 01:24 PM

Live Chat Support—available 7 days a week, from 3 am to 12 midnight (PST)
Live Chat now features a new suite of tools that will allow our support agents to assist you more efficiently. With your permission, our representatives can now view and take control of your computer, check your system parameters and provide you with web pages to resolve your technical issues.

Chat with a Tech

Telephone Technical Support
Customer Care representatives are available 5 am to 12 midnight (PST) seven days a week.

United States 1-408-273-0888*
Canada 1-604-637-1419*

Click the "Chat with a tech" button on the above page.

#12 dustbegone

dustbegone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:42 PM

I called Emachines and they sent me a Restore Disk that also included the drivers. I used it, BUT we still can not connect. There still isn't a network adapter listed in the device manager. And I am having a heck of a time getting other things to work as well. Like the keyboard. I had to uninstall and then reinstall that! I called Emachines and now I'm waiting for a call back that probably isn't going to happen. I just want to get my computer up and running again. What do I do now?! Is there a way to go through the disk to install the drivers manually one by one? How do I find them?? I've had it with this thing. We restored our other computer a long time ago and didn't have any of these isssues. Just used the disk and all was good again. Am I doing something wrong? :thumbsup:

Edited by dustbegone, 21 August 2006 - 07:43 PM.

#13 Miss1aNNeOnLy

Miss1aNNeOnLy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:25 AM

Hi, I went through the same exact thing with you and here's what I did that fixed it for my emachine.

First, I went to this link after typing in the motherboard info in downloader.com

Next, download the correlating motherboard and driver. Then copy it to a CD on another computer of course.
Install it in your emachine and Voila!

That instantly worked for me.

Warning: When you call the tech, it may take up to 30 minutes. This is only my 2nd time calling but I remember the 1st time I called months ago and after the call dropped I never wanted to call but just be strong and wait. I told them their company sucks after finding out they know that they do not supply a CD to restore after reconfiguring windows XP. They said they have specific drivers not generic ones like Dell. Next time I'm buying a Dell. I'm not paying $25 dollars for a CD they said they would send me. No way.

Here's the link: http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df...mp;submit=Go%21

Be aware that my computer info is as follows:

Model: T2062
Motherboard: Intel Seabreeze D845GVSR (find out your number by calling the emachine tech according to your Series & Model number.)

Hope this helps.

Edited by Miss1aNNeOnLy, 30 August 2006 - 12:33 AM.

#14 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:41 PM

hi, dustbegone,

can u say what problems you originally had that you reinstalled xp?

also, is your network card onboard, or does it plug into the motherboard via a pci slot, the same with your soundcard, onboard, or a plugin card?

if the above are pci cards try removing them and slotting them in again, maybe on other pci slots if available, especially if you have recently been moving your computer around. if your network card isnt plugged in correctly windows wont detect it so it wont show up in the device manager.

if this makes no difference, or if your network card is built into the motherboard, if you can, remove a network card / soundcard from another computer and plug into your own, to see if windows will detect those!

good luck

#15 dustbegone

dustbegone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 06:08 PM

Thank you for the replies! We have installed a network card that we had sitting in an old computer that we don't use anymore. And now my hubby can connect to the internet on his computer. (the one I'm having all this trouble with) BUT, I'd still like to take care of the problem. After messing around with the restore disc and so on, I managed to get sound back on it too. So now my hubby is happy.

Rubiconeye-

My hubby reinstalled XP because he was having all kinds of problems. He couldn't figure out what was causing them. When he'd start up the computer it would freeze before it was finished loading, then he'd use the Norton's Go Back to set it to a previous date just to start up the computer. But he would have the same problem whenever he needed to reboot. After dealing with that for awhile it started to freeze up when he would download something. Not long after that it wouldn't even let you shut down the computer. He just said screw it, I'll just start over from scratch. I think he's still having issues with conflicting programs or something.

The network card is "onboard" and it just won't work for some reason. It's not even listed in the device manager. We haven't moved the computer at all since we set it up but when we installed the network card from a different computer we tried messing with it to make sure it was IN. And we vacuumed the fans and so on. But nope, still nothing. The one we installed works just fine.

Miss1aNNeOnLy-

Thank you! I will be checking out that link for sure. Although I might not get to it until after the holiday weekend. I would really like to get the original network card up and running again. It's a newer computer, I shouldn't have this problem! So yeah, I totally know what you are saying as far as emachines and not buying one again. I "chatted" with a Tech two different times they just kept telling me to "follow the steps" you must have missed a step or something, try again... blah, blah, blah.... I did that THREE times!! I don't think it's ME. At that point I decided I will just get a new network card. (that's when I remembered that we had one sitting in a computer) I'll post again after I've had a chance to try what you've suggested.

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users