Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 installs and rescue disks

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PetarSickey

PetarSickey

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 04:47 PM

I recently recovered a hung up Windows 10 after I had inadvertently allowed Windows Update service to not be disabled.  I then re-enabled it during the recovery process so that it would do some updating again - weird, every once in a while, my computer seems to get fouled up by updates, then I have to start over again, but I seem to be able to recover it ok.  Perhaps I interfered with some update and that's why it got screwed up.

So anyway, my computer is perfectly stable now, and everything works ok.

So I downloaded the 3.6/3.7 GB .iso and burnt it to a CD.  I did this using WIndows Media Creation tool.  I decided to add Windows Setup (Windows Media Creation tool = same thing) to my list of allowed apps in the firewall - not sure this is necessary, I just did it anyway.  It takes a long time to get past 0% since it's a large file - each percent is like 300MB.  But that went fine so now I have my DVD with Windows 10.  I assume that this is bootable.  So I assume I do not need a recovery or rescue disk or should I make one of those?  Just wondering, if a bootable Windows 10 DVD is as good as a rescue/recovery.

So I've also made some restore points using the Control Panel and whatever how I did that - no problem there.  I have a couple of those I can roll back to.

And I've chosen NOT to use Windows Disk Image in File History - the reason is that I only have a C: drive, no other drive to back up to.  Perhaps I should invest in an external drive?  I"ve always been hesitant to use Windows's backups since I wonder about file-locks.  Do they unlock ALL files, do I really get a full and exact image?  I guess Images have advantages (speed) and disadvantages (less flexibility).

So I re-enabled Windows update during all those boots where I get the messages like: PROCESS_INITIALIZATION_FAILED, CRITICAL_SERVICE_FAILED, Preparing Automatic Repair, Repairing Disk Error (I doubt there are any), This might take over an hour to complete (not really), 0xc000021a - seen that one?, Attempting repairs, CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED, Diagnosing, CM_Get_Next_Res_Des - now this last one means you've got problems - your Control Panel device enumerator will not run - better leave Windows update on at this point, and just keep rebooting!  

Well, my new PC is fine now.  And I have updates off for the moment.  I just don't want interruptions.  What a cryptic set of messages I get when Windows is booting/repairing.  Perhaps I should look at a log file somewhere and start to understand the install process more?

Later on.

:grinner:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 04:34 PM

The DVD should be bootable - but it's always a good idea to test it.
When you boot from it, on the second screen there should be a "Repair this computer" in the lower left corner.  If you have that, then that's your repair/recovery drive also

Don't go past the 2nd screen or you'll be starting the installation again.  Just remove the disk and reboot the system in order to get out of that.

The Windows image will be an exact duplicate of your hard drive as of the time that you make the image.

You will need another drive, so it's advisable to invest in an external USB drive

The benefit of this is that, from the repair/recovery drive you'll be able to restore the image that you made - no having to mess with other programs and booting.

Windows Updates are critical.  The problems with Windows Updates usually stems from either hardware or 3rd party software problems.

If there are problems with Windows Updates, most are solved quickly by Microsoft - but they can't solve all the problems that are caused by bad software/drivers/hardware from other manufacturer's.

Here's a link to a Google search with many different articles on Windows Setup/Installation:  https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+installation+wikipedia&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users