Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CANNOT CONNECT TO SERVER AFTER ADDING SWITCH

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Raven142

Raven142

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 04:26 PM

Windows 7 professional. Office network. 3 pc's, one pc is a workstation that also is the server for their hospitality software. Recently had printer connectivity issues from server to shared printer. Took a netgear router and installed as a switch to network the printer as there are 2 pc's at the front and only 2 network jacks wired. - All of that is working. However, the 3rd pc in managers office can no longer connect to the server when I try to map to network drive. I know I probably need to change something in the router, but of course they don't know the password and it is not default. I don't want to have to do this unless necessary as it will mean I have to reset the router and therefore take down their network, (which means I have to work tonight. :/  )   Is there a way around this? If not, what settings do I need to change/add in the router?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2016 - 12:48 PM

If you installed the router as a switch as in no connection on the wan port, then there is nothing to "reset" in the router.

This assumes the pc can get to the router and is getting a ip address from it.  Is it?  Can it ping the router?  Can if ping another pc?

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 20 June 2016 - 03:18 PM

What model router did you use? How did you set it as a switch? My guess is the printer and 3rd PC are in different subnet because "switch" might still have DHCP enabled? 

I think best solution is to buy or obtain unmanaged switch. A Netgear 4 port is like 20-25$ on Newegg. 

Edited by Trikein, 20 June 2016 - 03:36 PM.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:34 PM

Hopefully the router is the ONLY dhcp server for the network.

#5 Raven142

Raven142
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:02 PM

PROBLEM RESOLVED.  Basically I live in a small town so computer supplies are limited. I was trying to get them up and running without having to order something. The router was a spare they had and a piece of crap. (not old, just cheap) I found there weren't any opensource firmware downloads for it. Limited settings to play with, so I threw it away. I checked with an I.T. company that I had forgotten about and to my surprise they had a 5 port switch for $14. I was a little nervous because the printer would install as a USB connected device, but wouldn't print ( prior to getting the switch) but everything worked like a charm instantly. :bananas:

Thanks everyone for your input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users