Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Before selling on my old computer...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Pauline378

Pauline378

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 02:02 PM

Hi

I need some advice please about wiping a Macbook I bought off of ebay a while back (which I am now wanting to sell on due to upgrade).

The Macbook came with Photoshop and other programs preinstalled.

So far I have backed up all my data, apart from emails and deleted my files off the computer.  After moving all files to the trash, I’ve selected ‘secure empty trash’ which I believe rewrites over data so it can’t be recovered?

I have also deleted my internet browsing history and favourites, I had my bank and email webpage included in my ‘favourites’.  I haven’t deleted cookies yet

My questions is, is this enough?  If not are there any programs I can use to make sure that the deleted files and history are non-recoverable without reformatting / reinstalling the OS?

Because if I reformat and reinstall the operating system (if I can with no disk), then it will surely wipe off Photoshop and all the pre-installed other programs?

I had bank statements and other personal files saved to the computer.  If I have to reformat, is this enough?  Or do I need to replace the hard drive all together?

Much appreciated

Pauline

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 02:29 PM

did you receive any disks when you purchased the mac? if not you may need to purchase them in order to fully overwrite your hard drive

#3 Pauline378

Pauline378
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 02:33 PM

Hi

Thanks for responding, unfortunately not, I didn't receive any disks.  Is overwriting the hard drive essential?

Thank you

#4 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 02:37 PM

its not essential but it is recommended to ensure any and all personal files and data are unrecoverable (aside from replacing the hard drive itself)

#5 Pauline378

Pauline378
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 02:40 PM

Right, okay, thanks.  As it stands, with what i've done so far, what is the likelihood of personal files being recovered?  If I replaced the hard drive itself, would this lose all of the preinstalled programs though?

Thank you

#6 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 02:57 PM

replacing the hard drive would require the OS be installed on the new hard drive so depending on who you take it to to get done it may just be easier to get them to overwrite the existing hard drive as opposed to buying a new one (places like geek squad have the capability to do this)

#7 Pauline378

Pauline378
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 03:03 PM

Okay, thank you.  I have seen hard drives online to buy with the OS installed, but my biggest concern is, if I replace the hard drive or overwrite it, it will lose the preinstalled programs (and I don't want to do that).  And wherever I take it, I don't think they will have the preinstalled programs (just the OS).

Do I have any other options of cleaning the hard drive of all traces of my files without overwriting?  Is 'secure empty trash' adequate?

Thanks again

#8 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 04:25 PM

discs that you can purchase will come with the preloaded programs that originally came with the computer on them and will install them so long as they originally came with the mac

#9 Pauline378

Pauline378
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:55 PM

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor