Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Download Woes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JustShawn

JustShawn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 12:43 PM

I am using an old Inspiron 1720 that runs Vista.  Yesterday I did a complete restore from factory disk in order to wipe out something that was screwing with my downloads.  Well, it is persistent, to say the least.  When I click on a downloadable link everything seems to work fine, that is in IE, Firefox, and Chrome.  Once I try to click the downloaded link I see it say "Opening", but nothing actually happens.  I can't install Adobe Flash, I can't install certain drivers I had to fish for, etc.

I tried turning off all security measures when downloading what I know to be safe downloads, still doesn't work.  I have went through Firefox and changed some things that supposedly helped, nothing.  I have not touched Chrome or IE, they are install fresh.  For a little bit IE was the way to go for installs, such as Chrome and Firefox, but now the downloaded links don't work on there either.

I forgot to mention that going to my download folder and trying to activate the downloads doesn't work either.

Let me know what you need.

Cheers!

-Shawn

Edited by JustShawn, 18 June 2016 - 12:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 01:45 PM

Hi,

The Windows Vista have Service Pack 2 installed?

Did you install an Antivirus program?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Abzyx

Abzyx

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 20 June 2016 - 02:15 PM

The last time I reinstalled Vista, I followed the general plan of updating Windows first and installing software later, and I did not suffer the difficulties you describe. An exception can be made for Firefox, because not even the Microsoft website supports IE 7 anymore and in many cases one might have to download SP1. (I don't think today's online installers will work with IE 7 either.) True, checking for updates for Vista SP2 consumes tremendous amounts of time and system resources these days, but a solution might have been found for that: see http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/611898/windows-vista-update-hangs-at-checking-for-updates/page-2#entry3999902. I wonder how you obtained Chrome, considering that recent versions do not support Vista? If it came from a third party, I would upload the installer to VirusTotal for analysis. I don't know of any way to install a new Adobe Flash for Chrome, To install for Firefox, go to the Flash Player download site using Firefox and it should give you the NPAPI version. If you go there using IE 9, it should give you the ActiveX version (which probably does not support IE 7 anymore, I'm not really sure).

Edited by Abzyx, 20 June 2016 - 02:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users