Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about excessive heat

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 12:30 PM

I just bought a new laptop yesterday and I'm afraid I may have damaged it before even taking it out of the box.  I bought it and then it was in the car for a few hours while the temperature was 84 degrees Farenheit and sunny.  I left all 4 windows cracked open slightly to allow for some ventilation--while not allowing someone to reach in to unlock a door and steal my computer.  When I finally got home, I brought it in the house and noticed that the box was very warm.  That got me concerned about whether I may have damaged the laptop.  I've heard that hard drives are rather fragile.  After the box cooled and I took the computer out and plugged it in and turned it on for the first time, it seemed to take quite a while to get started.  The word "Dell" was on the screen for several minutes at the beginning.  When I had my old Toshiba desktop that I bought 5 years ago, it would say "Toshiba" on the screen when first turned on, but only for about 5 seconds before Windows started up.

Is there a way to check whether the hard drive is damaged?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 01:14 PM

Hi,

With the laptop inside the box to protect from direct sun light and with the machine power off I don't think there is any problem, you did good by waiting for the box temperature drop before turning the unit on.

Usually only on the first start the Operating System finish the installation after some questions about the owner, language, etc. it's normal to take some time before the system became available.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 05:09 PM

I concur with sleepy, first time boots always take awhile, and its unlikely any damage was done. If it still takes forever to load after a week, or regular usage it is still slow, then perhaps you have a problem, but right now, id say you have nothing out of the ordinary happening.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 Toshiba2015

Toshiba2015
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 20 June 2016 - 02:14 PM

I concur with sleepy, first time boots always take awhile, and its unlikely any damage was done. If it still takes forever to load after a week, or regular usage it is still slow, then perhaps you have a problem, but right now, id say you have nothing out of the ordinary happening.

Thanks guys!  I feel better now.  I just had a laptop die on me, and then my desktop only a week later, so it would really suck if a brand new computer got ruined by heat in the car before I even took it out of the box!

So far, I've only had it turned on one other time.  I'm trying to be cautious about what I'm doing now.  I adjusted the settings, and then tried deleting some bloatware, and next I want to back up the OS.  Right now, the amount of disk space used is a little over 39GB.  I plan on getting a 64GB flash drive to do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users