Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dual boot won;t work after upgrading to Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 the doctor

the doctor

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 10:08 AM

I have a machine that had windows XP Pro installed; I partitioned the hard drive and installed windows 7. Dual boot worked fine,..either Win 7 or "earlier version of windows (Win XP). My customer installed Windows 10 over win 7. Now dual boot screen shows up but will only boot to 10...XP doesn't work. Help...Cannot go back to Win 7.

Edited by hamluis, 18 June 2016 - 12:48 PM.
Moved from XP to W10 Support - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 04:20 PM

I am not certain, but I think you will find that when Win 10 installed it created an 'Win.old' folder, dumped your Win 7 files in that and merrily proceeded to format and partition the rest of your hard drive to suit itself, hence the reason why XP has gone.

Your customer, or you, should be able to revert to Win 7 should you wish, but I think you will find that XP is permanently gone. Depending on the size of the hard drive and on whether or not your customer still has install discs it may be possible to go back to dual or even triple booting, but I suspect it will mean re-installing Win 7 and/or XP.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 19 June 2016 - 10:39 AM

As an add-on to Chris' post above, if your customer wants XP, I suggest using a 2nd hard drive for XP instead of dual boot partitions. It makes things a lot simpler and safer for his data. 

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 the doctor

the doctor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:37 AM

Thanks for the responses. XP isn't gone, it just won't boot. Hoe can I access the drive that it is on to try a repair. 

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:56 AM

You may want to look at EasyBCD. I am not sure it will help as you say XP is listed in the boot menu. It's free for personal use. Look under the section called Add New Entry.

#6 the doctor

the doctor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:22 AM

I have easyBCD installed, It shows both OS. I may add another HDD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users