Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Facebook

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 trevorcork

trevorcork

• Members
  • 346 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 09:23 AM

quicjk question i am having a debate with a friend he says that when prospective employers etc look you up they can HACK your facebook, i said no they can see if you are not on private but they cant actually hack your account, can someone clarify this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 10:03 AM

Yes they can hack. Actually at right there is an option Forgot password? They can do with this. To prevent from this 1.Give a strong password 2.Never tell your email id to other that make them easy to hack 3.Never tell confirmation code that you get from facebook company This will prevent from hacking your prevent.
To achieve something first try
to get the knowledge about it.
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,482 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 10:03 AM

Employers cannot hack into your private areas of your Facebook.  If Facebooks makes major "OS" changes, your private sections may suddenly or may not become public.  To my knowledge, the only way to hack into a Facebook account is to pick a specific account, "black box" username and password -- until the username and password is electronically determined.  Watch Terminator 1, Core, NCIS, CSI, etc.,  -- although I think the time is much compressed for TV.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,482 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 10:06 AM

Yes they can hack. Actually at right there is an option Forgot password? They can do with this. To prevent from this 1.Give a strong password 2.Never tell your email id to other that make them easy to hack 3.Never tell confirmation code that you get from facebook company This will prevent from hacking your prevent.

LiamPS and I posted at the same time.  Liam's correct:  If the employer knows the email address used for Facebook, an employer could ask for password reset.  However, any such employer [outside of law enforcement] caught doing aforementioned would probably encounter employee[s] backlash.

Edited by RolandJS, 18 June 2016 - 03:24 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#5 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 10:20 AM

But don't be afraid trevorcork if you notice that your account have got something wrong then according to cyber law the hacker will be punished.
To achieve something first try
to get the knowledge about it.
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 18 June 2016 - 11:38 AM

Even if your settings are set to show what you post to only your friends it is still possible for an employer/prospective employer to view what you have posted on Facebook. They don't have to "hack" your account.

https://www.facebook.com/help/282207828490074/

If someone else tagged you in a photo, the employer/prospective employer will be able to see it. Would you want the photo of you acting stupid to be seen by them?

If you post something and someone else shares it, it can be seen if the other person allows anyone to see his/her activity on Facebook.

They may be able to see comments YOU made on other people’s photos and wall. If it is something negative, you can kiss that job goodbye.

Bottom line: a good recruiter will be able to find out what you post on social media without "hacking" into your account.

#7 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 12:33 PM

If a employee resets your password, they aren't hacking your account because they are obtaining the password through normal(albeit not allowed) means.  It's on par with being worried your cell phone provider could check your texts or your internet provider seeing your screen. I would be more concerned about games and ads on Facebook giving you malware and someone else getting your password. That is much more common.

Edited by Trikein, 18 June 2016 - 12:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users