Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Windows 10 issues. Cannot run EXE files

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 waltgokey

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 09:21 AM

good afternoon, 

I was hoping to get some advice on my current Windows 10 issue.

I cannot run EXE files. I have reset Windows 10, and even tried a new install

There is one thing that worries me, there is an "antimalware service" running under Task Manager which i am not sure it should be there, but i cannot stop the services.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 09:49 AM

If you can get to Task Manager, you ARE running EXE files.  The antimalware service you see there is part of Defender which is integrated into Windows 10.  Which EXE files are you having trouble with?  The first thing you should do is to open Defender and do a full scan for viruses.  After that download MalwareBytes, get it up to date, and do a scan with it.  Then open an administrator command prompt and issue this command: sfc /scannow .  After that, if you're still having problems, post a new note in the Am I Infected forum.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 rp88

• Members
  • 2,904 posts
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:36 PM

Could this perhaps be your problem:

I've heard that windows 10 will sometimes refuse to run certain downloaded exe files if they are unsigned. If AND ONLY IF you can be ABSOLUTELY sure that the exe file you wish to run is safe and trustworthy then the article above explains how to do it.

Look at that howtogeek page, does the error it describes match the problem you're having? If not your issue will be something else.

I would guess that by "I cannot run EXE files" waltgokey means he can't open exe files he has downloaded, because if exe files couldn't run at all then he wouldn't be able to do anything, no browser (because every browser needs an exe file of some sort, no file explorer because that is explorer.exe, no command prompt as that is cmd.exe, no task manager, no control panel or any of the functions it lets one access...

A virus scan is highly advisable though, and if you're planning to run an exe file you've downloaded best to virus scan that file with your antivirus, and with a second opinion scanner, and with virustotal.

Edited by rp88, 07 July 2016 - 01:37 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users