Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Very Unique Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ashton_r

ashton_r

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:44 PM

hi, my name is ashton and im on a windows 98 laptop and it is really messing up.

first of all, the screen is really small and has black edges around it. second of all, i cant really download my windows updates because it gets stuck on "preparing to download". third of all, i cant load anything popping up from a website, such as... a game. if i click the link it pops up a window but stays blank. i tried a lot of computer help chatrooms. so far, none were effective. so i decided to post instead. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and my spybot s&d wont run.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 01:18 AM

i cant really download my windows updates because it gets stuck on "preparing to download".

That's because Microsoft has stopped support for Win98/ME.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 04:43 AM

hi, my name is ashton and im on a windows 98 laptop and it is really messing up.

first of all, the screen is really small and has black edges around it. second of all, i cant really download my windows updates because it gets stuck on "preparing to download". third of all, i cant load anything popping up from a website, such as... a game. if i click the link it pops up a window but stays blank. i tried a lot of computer help chatrooms. so far, none were effective. so i decided to post instead. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and my spybot s&d wont run.

As previously mentioned, M$ no longer supports W98, so that's why you can't get updates.

Have you tried to adjust the screen size to eliminate the black edges?

Try going into safe mode and running your scans.

What other protection do you have, and do you have any problems running them or is it just the Spybot S&D?

Please let us know what you find.

Edited by dc3, 11 August 2006 - 04:46 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 12:23 PM

Hello Ashton. It seems to me your Win98 installation is damaged or incomplete.

Black borders around the screen most probably means that your video driver is not the right one; and as for your upgrades, MS has stopped producing new updates, but you still can download the already existent updates from the support page. I think the IE update plugin might be damaged, check the Downloaded Program Files folder to see if Update Class object is correct, if not, delete it and try to connect again to MS update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users